• Last modified 805 days ago (May 16, 2019)


Mail problems discussed by council

Staff writer

Several residents said Monday at Peabody’s city council meeting they had not received mail since May 8 and had received letters informing them they would not receive mail unless they put up boxes along the street.

“It’s not my dog,” Rodger Charles said. “That’s the problem; it’s four blocks away.”

A mail carrier delivering in Peabody reported a recent incident with a dog, but would not provide more information, Peabody police chief Bruce Burk said.

“I had one last week and the postal carrier did not cooperate with the investigation or give a statement,” Bruce Burk said. “I had no basis to build an investigation.”

Burk said he would contact Marion postmaster Lori Kelsey, whose jurisdiction includes Peabody, about coming to the next meeting, which was moved to May 28.

Even if she makes an appearance, the council’s sway when dealing with a federal office is limited, councilman Travis Wilson said.

“There’s not much the council can do with the post office,” he said.

Charles said he was informed the post office’s changes would effect areas where there are problem dogs, but said the new regulations leave him without parking.

“Where they flagged by my house on Olive St., we have three parking spaces,” he said. “If we put the boxes where they flagged, we have zero parking in front of our houses. Then we don’t get our mail again.”

Several community members questioned whether the changes are being made to expedite delivery times, not because of dog incidents.

Residents have 15 days to place a box at the road after receiving a letter, but finding the opportunity to get a box from the post office is difficult, Rob Gibson said.

“My wife and I both work out of town and don’t get home until the post office is closed,” he said. “How do I get a post office box when they’re already closed?”

The city is in need of updated sirens, since the current ones have been in use since the early 1970s, Burk said.

“They no longer make parts for it and we’re spending thousands every year to keep it going,” he said.

The problem intensified when it was discovered both sirens had been stuck by lightning at some point.

Burk said there was an offer for a set of refurbished sirens for $12,045, which would require $3,000 down to hold the sirens until Peabody paid the full amount, but no decision was made.

Last modified May 16, 2019