• Last modified 309 days ago (Sept. 14, 2023)


Ambulance director quits; license challenge remains

Staff writer

County ambulance director Curt Hasart, embattled for months about whether he failed to report pending criminal cases in South Dakota when he applied for a paramedic license in 2011, has resigned effective Sept. 20.

He has been ambulance director less than a year.

Hasart remains under threat of having his license taken away because Kansas Board of Emergency Medical Services found out he had two criminal cases pending against him in South Dakota when he applied for his Kansas license.

At that time Hasart denied any pending cases and the board took applicants’ word instead of doing a background check.

At last week’s commission meeting, vice chairman David Crofoot called for a five-minute executive session with Hasart.

When the session was over, commissioners unanimously accepted Hasart’s resignation. The state’s investigation will continue.

Joe House, director of the state board, said the matter would come before the board during its October meeting.

Newly obtained evidence about criminal cases pending at the time he applied in Kansas is expected to be presented.

Hasart received a temporary Kansas license Dec. 9, 2011. A few months later, he received a permanent license.

According to South Dakota court records, Hasart was charged Aug. 16, 2011, for a July 25, 2011, domestic assault. While Kansas has separate charges for assault and for battery, South Dakota classifies both as “assault.”

He also was charged Sept. 6, 2011, with obstructing a law enforcement officer by using or threatening violence and with resisting arrest by intentionally attempting to prevent an officer by using means that created substantial risk of injury to the officer.

A probable cause affidavit for this arrest states that a judge had to get courtroom security for a hearing about a temporary protection order involving Hasart.

When Hasart, outside the courtroom, was told it was time for court, he yelled, “I will f***ing kill her if I go in there.”

He walked away and ignored an order to stop. Two deputies put him to the ground, but Hasart continued to resist while they handcuffed him and arrested him.

While both cases were pending, his bond was modified so he could go to job interviews in Oklahoma and Wellington.

Hasart made a plea agreement Jan. 12, 2012 — after Kansas granted him a temporary license — to obstruction of justice and was sentenced Jan. 18, 2012, to pay $420 and serve 15 days in jail.

He entered a diversion agreement in the domestic assault case. Charges were dismissed Jan. 12, 2012, then re-filed July 3, 2012. The case was dismissed again March 1, 2013.

Hasart had further criminal charges in Kansas while working at Wellington. There he was charged with battery and disorderly conduct. In that case, he entered a diversion agreement.

Marion County employees have complained about Hasart’s behavior as ambulance director and threatened mass resignations. All wished to remain anonymous because they feared reprisal if they spoke openly.

Last modified Sept. 14, 2023