30 years ago
Aug. 14, 1996
Marion trash will be mixed with solid waste from other communities in Marion County before being hauled to a distant landfill.
That decision was made Monday afternoon by Marion City commissioners when they met with Theo Bond and Rex Savage, owners of the K.C. Development transfer station proposed to be located in the former Marion municipal power plant building that they now own.
Members of Florence and Aulne United Methodist churches broke ground Sunday for a new parsonage on a vacant lot at 230 W. 5th St. in Florence. Board of trustees chairmen Kevin Fruechting and Francis Cook turned the first shovel of dirt.
More than 200 people attended an open house Aug. 7 at the Marion County Record and more than 125 of them participated in a study on readership. Pictured taking a test were four sisters, Elnora Siemens, Alice Rempel, Bernice Herbel, and Josephine Stroda.
William K. “Bill” Holmes, 74, manager of the Duckwall’s store in Marion, died Aug. 12 after a lengthy illness. A community leader, he had been active in virtually every Marion organization since moving here in 1955.
Marion Chamber of Commerce members Jerry Cady and Diane Hett are shown as they dish up sausage and eggs for Bob Good, Peggy Kleiber, Don Molleker, and other school district staff members.
More than 200 attended the breakfast, an annual event to welcome teachers and staff back to another year of educating youngsters.
An article tells of the experiences of Tom Nelson, son of Gene and Naomi Nelson of Burdick. He is a volunteer missionary who teaches at a Lutheran secondary school in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Last modified Aug. 5, 2026