Siebert barn succumbs to fire

Marion Fire Department responded Sunday afternoon to a barn fire but was unable to save the structure.

At approximately 3 p.m., a barn at the Deran and Sharon Siebert residence at 1429 190th Road, Marion, was reported on fire. When the fire department arrived, the barn was totally engulfed.

The Sieberts were home at the time and reported the fire.

A nine-member crew from Marion and a nine-member crew from Hillsboro Fire Department battled the blaze in efforts to keep other structures from catching fire.

According to Marion Fire Chief Mike Regnier, Deran Siebert was burning grass around the property and a live ember may have started the fire.

Crews remained on the scene for three hours. The older 40x20-foot wooden barn, which was used to store miscellaneous items, burned to the ground. There were no injuries and the total loss was not known.