• Last modified 1634 days ago (Oct. 30, 2014)


Warriors withstand Burlingame surge, remains undefeated

Staff writer

The Peabody-Burns Warriors prevailed 42-34 at Burlingame on Friday despite an unsettled atmosphere that included miscues, penalties, fumbles, and interceptions. Gage Claassen intercepted a Burlingame pass with less than a minute to play to give the Warriors a chance to kneel down twice and end the game.

“That pick was huge,” head coach David Pickens said. “He read it perfectly.”

It seemed like business as usual when the Warriors jumped out to a 28-0 lead in the first half. Clayton Philpott ran 31 yards for the first touchdown of the contest. Braxton Kyle ran the conversion.

After a defensive stand, the Bearcats punted. PBHS scored quickly on a second-and-7 63-yard run by Kyle.

One more score was added in the first. Kyle scampered 51 yards down the left sideline to give the Warriors the 20-0 edge with 4:00 left in the period.

A drive that began late in the first continued into the second. Runs by Philpott, Brooks Hodges and Kyle netted just 5 yards to set up a fourth-and-5 at the Warriors 24. The fourth-down rush by Philpott moved PBHS to the Bearcats 15. Kevin Baatrup caught a second-down screen pass to set up first-and-goal at the 4. Kyle ended the drive with 3-yard run for the score. Philpott added 2 on the reverse field conversion run.

That’s when Burlingame’s comeback began.

Burlingame took over and put up 3 scores in seven minutes. Runs for 5, 30, and 60 yards cut the Warriors lead to 28-20 at the half.

The Bearcats had the ball first after the half but on second-and-8, Hodges intercepted a Burlingame pass at midfield and returned the ball to the Bearcats 26-yard line. Kyle ran 23 yards for the score but the conversion failed, leaving PBHS ahead 34-20.

Working a long field, Burlingame went to the air to set up third-and-1 at the Warriors 6. The drive was halted when Kyle recovered a Bearcats fumble in the end zone.

The final Warriors scoring drive included runs by Philpott, Hodges and Kyle. Stalled at midfield by a sack and a personal foul penalty, Kyle connected with Baatrup for a 50-yard score. Philpott reached out to skim the right pylon for the extra points. PBHS led 42-20 with 4:00 left in the third quarter.

Burlingame attacked quickly and tacked on 6 less than a minute later.

Late in the third, the Bearcats put together a drive that spilled over in the final quarter. A completed pass and conversion cut the Warrior lead to 8 with 9 minutes left in the contest.

“The defense came up big in the final quarter,” Pickens said. “Kevin (Baatrup) had an interception. Braxton (Kyle) had a fumble recovery. After the fumble, our offense had a chance to get another score but the drive ended in a fumble. Burlingame hung around and came back from 28-0 to get within 8 at the half. They came back again to get within 8 in the final quarter.

“It was a battle.”

Kyle completed 2 passes for 63 yards and a score. He ran 23 times for 134 yards and 4 scores. Philpott had 29 carries for 166 yards and a touchdown. Hodges added 12 carries for 51 yards. Baatrup caught 2 passes for 63 yard and a score.

Kyle led the defense with 7 1/2 tackles. Dakota Reynolds followed with 6. Kaden Gibson tacked on 5 1/2 and Hodges and Philpott added 4 each. Baatrup and Terronez added 3 each. Philpott recorded a sack.

Up next for the team is a Thursday Senior Night matchup against Lebo.

Last modified Oct. 30, 2014