• Last modified 3918 days ago (Sept. 24, 2008)


Warriors lose in final seconds of homecoming game

Sports writer

The homecoming battle Friday at Peabody-Burns High School pitted the Warriors against the 3A Remington Broncos.

PBHS was defeated 28-26 by a Bronco field goal with just seconds left in the game.

The team is still looking for a victory, and plays Friday at Hutch Trinity.

Remington had the first offensive series in the game.

Defensive plays by Henry Hammann, Isaac Hilliard, Jacob Simmonds, Brandon Pickens, Tyler Slater, and Chris Brooks allowed only 25 yards of offense.

An interception of a Bronco pass by Simmonds put the Warriors’ offense on the field at its own 17.

Elliott Spechtenhauser had a big first down run to move the ball to the Warrior 39. A 30-yard Simmonds pass connected with Brian Wingert and moved the sticks to the Remington 28-yard line.

Spechtenhauser and Hammann combined to earn a first down at the Bronco 18.

Simmonds ran on first down, but Spechtenhauser took the next three plays and on second-and-goal at the six, he plunged through the middle of the Remington defense for the score.

The kick attempt was unsuccessful but with four minutes, two seconds left in the first quarter, the Warriors were on the board 6-0.

With just 18 seconds off the clock, a Remington pass, catch, and run put the score all even at six.

The point after was no good but the game was tied at six with 3:44 left in the first quarter.

The PBHS offense answered with a touchdown before the end of the first quarter.

From the Bronco 36, Simmonds tossed the football to Derek Price for the second PBHS score.

The two-point conversion run was stopped, but the Warriors took a 12-6 lead with just 30 seconds left in the first quarter.

Each team had three series early in the second quarter that ended with turnovers or punts.

The Broncos then put together a drive from their own nine-yard line to cover the field and score with 2:40 left in the first half.

The pass for two points was unsuccessful but the game was tied for the second time in the contest.

The 12-12 tie remained intact as seconds ticked off the clock before halftime.

The early offensive second half action included two series that ended in punts for each team and one interception for each squad.

With five and a half minutes left on the clock in the third, a Hammann interception helped the PBHS offense get going from the Warrior 31.

A Simmonds quarterback keeper and seven Spechtenhauser runs set up the next Warrior score.

With a first-and-10 at the Bronco 24, Spechtenhauser went left off-tackle to put the ball in the end zone.

The extra point woes continued for the team but with 12 seconds left in the third quarter, the Warriors were on top again 18-12.

Early in the forth, Remington again came back to tie the score.

The PBHS defense aided in the effort with a penalty that moved the ball an additional 15 yards after a completed pass.

The Broncos scored on a third-and-15 from the Warrior 21-yard line.

Caleb Hilliard earned a special teams highlight and kept the score all even at 18 with a block of the extra point attempt.

Within two minutes of the last Remington score, the Broncos took advantage of a Warrior interception, and on the next play, connected on a huge pass to give them their first lead of the night.

The PAT was successful and the Warriors now trailed 25-18 with 8:03 left in the contest.

The next Warrior series began at the PBHS 18 and covered the entire field.

Two Remington penalties, seven Spechtenhauser carries, one Simmonds keeper, and one Pickens catch, kept the drive alive.

They set up the Warriors at fourth-and-one at the Bronco six-yard line.

After a PBHS timeout, Spechtenhauser took the ball in for the score.

Down by one, 25-24, the Warriors went for two.

Again Spechtenhauser took to the left of the Bronco defense and scored the two-point conversion.

With 3:52 left in the fourth quarter, PBHS was up 26-25.

The Warriors took over the offense again when Price intercepted the ball at his own 44-yard line.

Spechtenhauser runs took the ball to the Bronco 38, but on fourth-and-four, the run failed to get a Warrior first down.

With less than a minute to play in the contest, the Broncos connected on a big pass to move the ball to the Warrior 12-yard line.

A first down spike stopped the clock before Simmonds broke up the second-down pass play.

A third-down pass fell incomplete.

The Bronco field goal unit came onto the field on fourth down.

The kicker put the ball right through the middle of the uprights for three points.

Remington took the lead 28-26 with just 29 seconds left in the game.

While the Warriors had a completed pass to Pickens on first down of the last series of the game, the clock was the enemy, and time ran out.

Spechtenhauser rushed 37 times for 140 yards and three touchdowns.

Simmonds completed 10 of 24 pass attempts for 76 yards and a touchdown.

He also rushed eight times for 27 yards.

Price caught two passes, one for a score.

Pickens hauled in four passes for 23 yards, Wingert caught three for 40 yards, and Sean Jones caught one pass for 12 yards.

Isaac Hilliard led the defense with 6.5 tackles.

Pickens had six and Simmonds had five.

Other tackles included: Slater (four), Foth (2.5), Hammann (two), Price (1.5), Brooks (1.5), Spechtenhauser (1.5), Clint Jones (1.5), Abe Eldridge (one), and Caleb Hilliard (one).

Last modified Sept. 24, 2008