• Last modified 892 days ago (Oct. 13, 2016)


Warriors come up short at homecoming

Staff writer

Peabody-Burns’s homecoming football game against Oxford took on an anxious tone when Chance Elliott suddenly collapsed late in the first quarter. 

The Warriors had the ball, trailing 6-8, when Elliot fell to the ground. Coaches and EMTs came out to assist, and Elliott was carted off of the field on a stretcher. 

Lifeteam helicopter met with the Peabody ambulance at the high school’s practice field, and Elliott was airlifted to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita.

Not knowing Elliott had been airlifted until after the game, the Warriors played on.

Jess Philpott scored the first touchdown of the evening, making the score 6-0. Philpott stumbled off of the field in the first half, and didn’t return for the rest of the game.

Oxford scored a touchdown shortly after, securing their 2-point conversion and taking the lead over the Warriors 6-8.

After the Mustangs made another touchdown and the score was 6-14, Rocco Weerts returned the kick;  however, a flag moved the Warriors back to the Peabody 18 yard line. 

Austin Reynolds carried the ball to the Oxford 22, and during the fourth down, the ball was kicked to Weerts on the Oxford 28, giving Peabody-Burns control of the ball once more.

Weerts also intercepted the ball during an Oxford play in the second quarter, taking the ball to the Oxford 7. Reynolds then took the ball to the goal line on second down. With a successful conversion play, the score was 14-16 with 6:31 left in the second quarter.

With :57.3 left before half, a pass to Bryant Young was complete for another touchdown. The conversion was no good, and the score remained 20-22 at halftime.

During the third quarter, Oxford managed three more touchdowns, taking the score to 20-44.

In the fourth quarter, Reynolds ran 60 yards to get the Warriors another touchdown. The Warriors would get no closer, losing 28-44.

The team may have lost the game, but coach David Pickens had his mind elsewhere.

“We lost two starters at the beginning of the game and our thoughts are with them,” Pickens said. “Losing this game is small potatoes. It’s just a game.” 

Pickens commended the team’s effort after having to play shorthanded. 

“They never quit tonight,” Pickens said. “They battled back. We played a hard nose football team and they got the better of us tonight, but we’re gonna find a way to come back and get back at it.”

Peabody-Burns faces Udall in an away game next Friday. 

Last modified Oct. 13, 2016