The year’s most-read stories among regular readers of our websites:
1. Crash kills Marion resident
A car accident April 7 on US-56 east of Hillsboro killed Gary Alleven, 46, of Marion.
2. Two Tabor athletes injured in beatings
Two confrontations eventually led to charges being filed against a former Tabor basketball player and another individual.
3. Second woman in Hillsboro crash dies
Jean Case, 85, of Marion and Joyce Smith, 83, of Topeka died after a car-semi accident on US-56 at Hillsboro.
4. Rumors swirl after EMS firing
Commissioners remained mum on the reason for Steve Smith’s dismissal.
5. Teens’ racing costs cyclist his leg
Curtis Girk of Peabody was hit during a drag race between two 17-year-olds.
6. EMS bills baker for ‘abusing’ lifting services
Marty Fent of Hillsboro was charged $2,000 for continually requiring assistance getting back in his wheelchair after his rambunctious dog kept pulling him over.
7. 2 nabbed in all-night manhunt
A man and a woman accused of stealing a pickup truck from a Peabody resident were tracked down by county officers in January.
8. Farmer flown to hospital after semi rollover
Linferd Funk needed a helicopter transport after his farm semi rolled over near Nighthawk and 190th.
9. After more than 3 years, family’s wait for adoption is finally over
Maddison and Brooklyn legally joined the Beery family of Marion after spending three years in foster care.
10. Don’t mess with Marion County
Wayne Johnston’s messy yard at his County Lake house drew the ire of neighbors, and county commissioners told him to clean it up, lest the state come clean it up for him.