• Last modified 338 days ago (June 22, 2023)


State probes ambulance chief

Board executive says Hasart lied when applying for certification

Staff writer

Marion County’s ambulance director is under investigation by the state and could lose his license as early as August.

A Record investigation has discovered that Curt Hasart, director since November, has a troubled past, including surrendering his license in South Dakota after he was arrested for assault and again for interference with law enforcement and resisting arrest. He also was being charged with battery and disorderly conduct in Wellington.

He was not truthful in 2011 when he applied for a Kansas paramedic license and is under investigation by Kansas Board of Emergency Medical Services, according to Joe House, executive director of board.

When Hasart applied for a license in Kansas so he could work at Wellington Fire and EMS, he denied any charges were pending against him despite having been arrested in South Dakota for a July 25, 2011, assault and again Aug. 22, 2011, for obstructing law enforcement and resisting arrest, House said.

The newspaper was urged to investigate Hasart’s background by senior ambulance employees who requested confidentiality but said there was talk of mass resignations within the department if the situation was not dealt with.

In South Dakota, a charge of assault can include what Kansas describes as “battery” — physical contact with the victim.

Hasart’s arrests in South Dakota were five months and four months before he began working in Wellington.

The arrests also were before Hasart applied for temporary certification as a paramedic in Kansas, House said.

At that time, the state EMS board relied on applicants to be truthful.

Applicants also were asked if any actions had been taken against their licenses elsewhere, House said.

Unaware of Hasart’s arrests, the board granted a temporary certification, allowing him to work under supervision of another paramedic, Dec. 9, 2011.

Hasart worked for Wellington Fire and EMS from Dec. 5, 2011, to Oct. 6, 2017.

Hasart was given full certification in Kansas on Oct. 24, 2012. He then could work without direct supervision.

South Dakota Board of Medical and Osteopathic Examiners records show that Hasart entered a consent agreement Oct. 19, 2012, with a reprimand that was reported to national data banks “and all other entities deemed necessary.”

Hasart submitted an application to a different South Dakota board July 15, 2015, seeking renewal of his advanced life support license. He worked for Wellington at that time.

Aware of his arrests, the South Dakota board of health put Hasart’s application “under investigation for several incidents that could potentially be considered unprofessional or dishonorable conduct.”

The department’s final ruling noted that the board of medical examiners had recommended Hasart be mandated to attend a health professionals assistance program and that on Feb. 3, 2016, Hasart submitted a letter to the medical board surrendering his EMT-Paramedic license effective immediately.

Asked what happened when he was arrested twice in South Dakota, Hasart denied that he was arrested twice.

Told that official records said he was, Hasart answered, “I will not discuss it.”

During his employment at Wellington, Hasart received on April 27, 2015, a notice to appear in court on charges of battery and disorderly conduct.

Misdemeanor charges were filed against him in municipal court. Hasart entered into a diversion agreement. In a diversion agreement, the suspect ordinarily signs a stipulation that will be used against them in court if they fail to fulfill the terms of the diversion.

Municipal court records show that on Aug. 3, 2016, additional charges were dismissed because his diversion agreement had been successfully completed.

Asked what happened that he was charged with battery in Wellington, Hasart said only, “I was not convicted of anything.”

The Wellington fire department found out about Hasart’s troubles in South Dakota while he worked there, Wellington fire chief Tim Hoy said.

Hasart left voluntarily, Hoy said.

“One day, he just up and quit,” Hoy said. “He was on fragile ground.”

City prosecutor Shawn DeJarnett did not respond to a request for a copy of the diversion agreement, which is an open public record under state law.

The municipal court clerk, who provided a journal entry of dismissal of the charges after the diversion was completed, also declined to provide further information on the matter.

“If you are wanting any further information, you may direct it to (DeJarnett),” Sherri Estes wrote in an email.

Hoy said that no one from Marion County ever called Wellington Fire Department or the city’s human resources department to inquire about Hasart.

County commissioners say they do not do background checks on county employees.

Asked at the end of Tuesday’s county commission meeting, commissioner Jonah Gehring said, “We do a little research and follow up on references.”

“Unless we know someone,” commissioner Kent Becker said.

Commissioners said they did not contact Wellington, but Gehring did say Hasart was “never convicted” in Wellington.

Asked what they would do now that they knew, Gehring said, “We couldn’t do anything if we wanted to.”

House said the Board of EMS was “definitely going to be looking into that.”

“We are going to open an investigation looking into the application and figure out more about it,” House said.

House said August would be the earliest month the Board of EMS could take action against Hasart’s license.

After leaving Wellington, Hasart went to work for Dickinson County EMS in January 2018 and left employment in May 2019.

He was rehired in January 2020 and worked there until November 2022, when he came to Marion County.

During his time in Kansas, Hasart also was safety coordinator for Heartland Motorsports Park in Topeka and worked for the National Hot Rod Association.

Last modified June 22, 2023