Twenty-eight Peabody-Burns High School seniors graduated Sunday afternoon in the Brown Gymnasium.
USD 398 officials led the processional into the gym while the PBHS band, directed by Steven Glover, played “Fanfare and Processional.”
Junior class members Sarah Hofkamp, Brody Kyle, Bethanny Loucks, and Amy Wedel ushered the class of 2011 to their seats. High school Principal Tim Robertson welcomed the crowd and the PBHS band preformed “Yorkshire Ballad.” Robertson awarded the Kansas State High School Activities Association Citizenship Awards to Embry Hodges and Sheldon Wiebe. Wiebe also received the Dale Dennis Excellence award and he and Emily Harris received scholar’s certificates.
Robertson introduced salutatorian Sheldon Wiebe and valedictorian Jenipher Huls, who each gave a commencement address.
Scholarship awards were presented to Preston Hodges, Alex Holm, Arlen Busenitz, Bruce Burke, Terril Eberhard, and Julia Ensminger.
Following the performance of the song “Friends,” a special music presentation by Voices, Superintendent Rex Watson accepted the PBHS class of 2011 and diplomas were given to the students. Watson presented the class of 2011 and the group shared some moments squirting each other and the administration with silly string.
The following awards were presented:
- George Trumble Award — Wiebe and Hodges.
- Letha Eberle Award — Harris and Taylor Ensminger.
- Alumni Scholarship — Heather Brooks and Michaela Methvin.
- William J. McPeeters Award — Clint Jones.
- Class of 1955 Award — Lauren Pickens and Paige Barnes.
- Robert E. Phillips Jr. Award — Mariah Purk and Lauren Pickens.
- Mary Josephine McCreary Awards — Jacob Gillet, Joseph Lopez, Methvin, Lauren Pickens, and Storm Pickens.
- Alumni Dance Award — Hodges.
- George Holm Memorial Award — Hodges.
- Burns Lions Club Award — Purk and Sean Brunner.
- FFA Alumni Awards — Brooks, Derek Schmidt, Jessica Gillet, and Duane Unruh.
- Barrett Memorial Award — Brooks.
- Masonic Lodge/Randy Farr Award — Lauren Pickens.
- Fred & Teresa Burdorf Award — Methvin.
- Fitch Memorial Award — Hodges.
- Hart Memorial Award — Ensminger.
- Jenson Award — Purk.