140 years ago
january 6, 1882
The RECORD is compelled to appear again in its old clothes. Its bright new suit is here, all ready to be put on, but the cylinder press, for some unaccountable reason, has not arrived.
On the cars between Florence and Topeka last week, Mr. C.W. Keller found a lady’s handsome gold watch and chain which he has thus far failed to find an owner for.
The stone work on the new three story mill is all done, ready for the roof. We understand the machinery will be put in just as soon as the house is ready to receive it. The winter has been a fine one for the masons and they have pushed the work with vigor. Thus one of our city’s greatest wants will soon be supplied—a first class flouring mill.
Mr. Brickley is moving his mammoth stock of hardware to his splendid new brick business building. He enjoys the distinction of having the only brick business building yet erected in town, and it makes a happy variation amid the many imposing stone buildings on Marion street. We wish Mr. Brickley and his popular right hand man, Sam Carter, continued prosperity.
A watch meeting at the Methodist church, a candy pulling at the Christian church, and a raffle at Saylor’s New Year’s Eve offered diversified attractions to close up the old year.
Walter Sharp, a young stone mason, has just finished the excavations and masonry for a cellar, foundation, and large cistern for the Business Manager of this paper, who is so well pleased with the job, the honesty of the workman and pleasant final settlement that he voluntarily writes this testimonial in recommendation of the moral and mechanical merit of Mr. Sharp.
The past year has been one of prosperity for Marion. And the boom promises still b
Last modified Jan. 6, 2022