140 years ago
december 23, 1881
Mr. Brewerton, Sr., who has been here for the past nine or ten months, superintending the construction of his son’s magnificent residence, and also the fine residence of Mr. Crane, has finished his season’s labors and will return to his Illinois home next week. With the opening of spring he will probably return to boss the building of some more fine structures. He understands his business.
There will be a Christmas tree and appropriate exercises to-morrow night at the Methodist church, which the public, and especially the children, are cordially invited to attend. The members of the Presbyterian church have been particularly invited. There will be an abundance of knick-knacks for all the children, but it is desired that the parents or friends of the children not on the rolls hand in the names of the little ones present, so that none be missed. Everyone is invited to place on the tree such presents as they may wish thus to give to friends.
A large audience greeted the appearance of the Mason and Morgan troupe at Rogers hall Wednesday evening to witness the performance of “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”
In its new form this paper will be known as the “Marion Record.” We drop the word “county” from the title, not because the paper is to be less a county paper than heretofore. Not by any means. “No pent up Utica” etc. We propose to enlarge rather than curtail our field. But Marion Record will at once designate the town and county and is a much prettier name, we think. Besides, it is shorter, and this is an age of brevity when the tendency is to lop off superfluities. Our exchanges will appreciate the change. A newspaper man abominates a long “credit.”
Last modified Dec. 23, 2021