• Last modified 621 days ago (Aug. 8, 2019)


Loans meant to assist farmers

Staff writer

Farmers with flood damage to their operation might be able to get an emergency loan through the Farm Service Agency.

Rick Bush, loan officer at the Emporia FSA office, said the agency offers emergency loans and operating loans, and there are important differences.

“If it was a crop that was lost, they can apply for an emergency loan, but the loan amount is reduced by any insurance money received,” Bush said.

The loan might be less than somebody might think it would be, he said.

“Somebody might want to get a regular operating loan from us instead of the emergency loan,” Bush said.

Bush said FSA loans are subject to commercial credit.

“If they are able to get a commercial farm loan, that’s where we send them,” he said.

Last modified Aug. 8, 2019