Hours after refusing care, overdose victim dies
A Hillsboro man’s death, attributed to an accidental overdose, occurred hours after he declined medical help summoned for the same reason.
Brett Wright, 47, is thought to have accidentally overdosed on his own prescription medication, Karen Larsen, Marion County assistant coroner said.
Hillsboro police and an ambulance were dispatched to Oakwood Manor at 4:29 p.m. July 27 for a possible overdose.
Wright was alert, oriented and refused to be taken to a hospital, Emergency Medical Services director Travis Parmley said. First responders found “no immediate threats” to his life.
Hillsboro paramedics said the call was a “code green refusal” and left the scene.
Hillsboro police and EMS were again summoned Oakwood Manor about 4 p.m. June 28 and found Wright deceased.
Hillsboro assistant police chief Jessey Hiebert said Wright and his wife, Teresa Wright, shared an apartment and she was present when help was summoned.
Last modified Aug. 4, 2021