Hillsboro to celebrate its 125th anniversary
Hillsboro will be abuzz with activity this weekend when residents celebrate the city’s 125th anniversary.
- Farmer’s Market, 5 to 7 p.m., Thursday, Schaeffler House — Sloppy joes will be served. Music will be provided by Three Docs & A Quack.
- 125th on Main Street, 7 p.m., Friday, Downtown — Cake and ice cream with music by Snigglefritz Band will kick-off the evening. Beard contestants will be judged. Gifts will be presented to the city and the 100th anniversary time capsule will be opened. Hillsboro’s mayors, past and present, will be recognized. In case of rain, the Event will be at Marion County Fair pavilion.
- Schaeffler House Centennial, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Schaeffler House — Antique car show will be shown all day. A vintage fashion show and clothing contest will be 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. An old-fashioned chicken picnic dinner will follow until 1:30 p.m. Meals cost $5 for adults and $2.50 for children. In case of rain, the meal and fashion show will be in the city building.
- Children’s Games, 2 to 3 p.m., Saturday, Memorial Park.
- Bed Turning, 3 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Quilts & QuiltRacks.
- Player Piano Demonstrations, 3 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Molly’s on Main.
- Free Family Swim Night, 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Hillsboro Family Aquatics Center.
- Ribbon cutting of new exhibit, “Joining the American Mosaic,” 2 to 5 p.m., Sunday, Visitor Center.
- Farmer’s Market, 5 to 7 p.m., July 2, Schaeffler House.
- July 4th Eve at the Schaeffler House, 5 to 7:30 p.m. — Hot dogs and ice cream will be served. A program will follow.
Souvenir T-shirts, mugs, and key ring/Christmas ornaments are available at Museums Visitor Center, Quilts & QuiltRacks, Hillsboro city office, and Hillsboro Furniture.
Last modified June 25, 2009