Fire destroys mobile home
An unoccupied mobile home in the 200 block of N. Spruce St. in Peabody was a total loss in a fire Monday night.
Peabody Police Chief Bruce Burke said heavy traffic leaving the town’s annual fireworks show had subsided when the fire broke out. Officers did not need to direct traffic around the fire.
“It’s in a part of town with very little traffic, and we just assisted with whatever the fire department needed us to do,” Burke said.
Peabody assistant fire chief Colton Glenn said since the trailer house is in a sparsely populated area of Peabody, it is believed fireworks being used in the neighborhood touched off the fire.
The fire marshal was not summoned to examine the fire because the trailer was abandoned and uninsured, Glenn said.
A second fire broke out in a tree Monday night in Peabody. It was also suspected to have been begun by fireworks.
A grass fire Monday night in Lost Springs, begun by fireworks, was extinguished by property owners.