• Last modified 1706 days ago (Oct. 23, 2019)


Farm trucks have rules, too

County roads these days are heavily traveled by farm tractor-trailers and smaller trucks that go back and forth between grain elevators and fields.

For safety’s sake, it is important to keep trucks in good working order. Trucks designated for farm use do not require inspection, but owners are still liable if an accident occurs that involves faulty brakes, lights, or tires. All parts have to be working.

License plates should be in front of the truck on a tractor-trailer. The trailer has its own license plate.

Farmers who operate tractor-trailers within 150 miles of their farms are not required to have a commercial driver’s license, but truckers who drive for hire must have a CDL.

In Kansas, applicants must be 18 years old.

The Kansas Division of Vehicles has agreements with Nebraska, Missouri, and Oklahoma, to allow farmers with properly registered farm trucks to cross state lines if they stay within the 150-mile limit.

The operator must have a valid driver’s license and be 18 or older. The truck must be used exclusively for farm products, machinery, or supplies.

There are no restrictions for hauling equipment on U.S., state, or country roads. On interstates, “oversize” signs and permits are required. Equipment can’t be pulled, towed, or driven, only carried.

Loads must be properly secured. The owner may be at risk for a civil suit if an accident occurs because of material coming loose and falling onto the roadway.

Last modified Oct. 23, 2019