Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
2:47 a.m. — An 81-year-old man who fell at Parkside Homes assisted living in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
8:49 a.m. — An 81-year-old man with respiratory failure was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke Hospital, Marion, to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center. The ambulance returned to Marion at 11:45 a.m.
9:11 a.m. — A 72-year-old man feeling ill at Carriage Manor apartments in Florence was taken to St. Luke by Peabody ambulance. Florence first responders were paged but did not answer.
12:18 p.m. — A 76-year-old man was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to McPherson Center for Health for a surgical consultation. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 2:14 p.m.
No dispatches were recorded.
7:32 a.m. — A 70-year-old man was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Ascension Via Christi St. Joseph Hospital, Wichita, for a surgical consultation. The ambulance returned to Marion at 10:54 a.m.
3:32 p.m. — Goessel firefighters briefly were alerted to a fire alarm caused by a bit of smoke in Tabor Church’s kitchen.
4:44 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 7:26 p.m.
5:20 p.m. — A 75-year-old woman who fell at an duplex on Victory Ln. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
9:05 p.m. — A 75-year-old woman with an unstable fracture was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to St. Francis.
9:34 p.m. — A leak in an anhydrous ammonia tank at Mid-Kansas Cooperative in Peabody was repaired by Peabody firefighters.
9:50 a.m. — What initially was reported as a possible structure fire in the 400 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro quickly was determined to be an unattended backyard grill. Hillsboro, Marion, and Durham firefighters initially were dispatched.
1:11 p.m. — A 69-year-old woman who experienced stroke-like symptoms after falling and hitting her head at Indian Guide Terrace apartments in Peabody was taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance. Peabody firefighters helped lift the patient. Peabody ambulance was paged but did not answer.
3:54 p.m. — An 83-year-old woman who fell at a farmhouse near 30th and Sunflower Rds. was taken to NMC Health by Marion ambulance. Peabody ambulance was paged but did not answer. The call originally went to Hillsboro ambulance, but Marion ambulance attendants volunteered to go instead. The ambulance returned to Marion at 6:43 p.m.
7:19 p.m. — Building materials being burned without permission in the 200 block of S. Olive St. in Peabody were extinguished within 20 minutes by Peabody firefighters. Peabody police also responded.
1:08 a.m. — What initially was reported as a carbon monoxide alarm at a farmhouse near 230th and Diamond Rds. was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a weak battery on a smoke detector.
6:25 a.m. — A 58-year-old woman who fell at Oakwood Manor apartments in Hillsboro was helped up by Hillsboro ambulance attendants. She declined to be taken to a hospital.
2:36 p.m. — An alarm company’s report of a person needing help getting up after a fall sent both a Goessel first responder and Hillsboro ambulance to the 100 block of Commercial St. in Goessel. Before the ambulance arrived, she informed first responders she did not want to go to a hospital.
5:42 p.m. — A 72-year-old man with trouble breathing was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita.
11:04 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance stood by while police responded to a domestic dispute in the 400 block of S. Birch St. in Hillsboro. Those involved declined to be examined by ambulance attendants.
7:17 a.m. — A person extricated by Marion rescue squad was taken to Wesley by Marion ambulance after two semi-trailer trucks collided in foggy weather at the US-56/77/K-150 roundabout northeast of Marion. Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched.
10:54 p.m. — A 64-year-old woman who fell after her knee gave out in a garage in the 100 block of N. Cedar St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. A Marion firefighter who lives nearby reported the fall.
3:28 p.m. — A 65-year-old man too weak to get upstairs into a house in the 300 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody was helped by Peabody ambulance attendants. He declined to be taken to a hospital.
6:34 p.m. — Hillsboro and Marion ambulance attendants were unable to revive an unresponsive man at Parkside Homes. A coroner was called.
Last modified Nov. 8, 2023