• Last modified 309 days ago (July 20, 2023)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


2:28 p.m. — A 58-year-old woman with abdominal pain was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance on a non-emergency basis from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 5 p.m.

5:57 p.m. — Marion firefighters spent 15 minutes airing out an apartment after a fire in a stove at Hilltop Manor in Marion. Marion ambulance and Hillsboro and Florence firefighters also were dispatched but quickly were told they wouldn’t be needed.

6:20 p.m. — A man not breathing at a home in the 400 block of Forest St. in Marion was pronounced dead by Marion ambulance attendants. Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched, but attendants quickly were told to disregard the call.

7:17 p.m. — Without being dispatched, Marion ambulance headed to the 400 block of N. Coble St. in Marion for a possible trauma patient. Attendants helped load the patient into a private vehicle so he could be taken to an undisclosed hospital.

11:05 p.m. — A 40-year-old woman vomiting blood and suffering abdominal pain at Peabody Health and Rehab was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance. Peabody ambulance also was paged but did not answer.


5:02 a.m. — A 79-year-old man was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke Hospital, Marion, to Wesley’s trauma unit. The ambulance returned to Marion at 7:40 a.m.

1:45 p.m. — A 60-year-old woman who fell at a farmhouse at US-56 and Holly Rd. was helped up but declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

4:26 p.m. — A 30-year-old man bleeding after he broke a window and cut himself at Westview Manor in Peabody was treated by two Peabody ambulance attendants as first responders before Hillsboro ambulance took him to HCH.

5:40 p.m. — Even before returning from its previous call, Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to the 700 block of Grand Ave. in Hillsboro to take a confused 82-year-old woman with a urinary tract infection to St. Luke.


10:29 a.m. — An 86-year-old woman having trouble breathing after her oxygen supply stopped during a power failure was checked by Marion ambulance attendants, who spent nearly an hour at her home in the 400 block of N. Roosevelt St. in Marion before she declined to be taken to a hospital.

4:43 p.m. — A suicidal 38-year-old man awaiting transfer to a state mental hospital pulled a fire alarm and left HCH with blood on his shirt. After a brief search, he was located by Hillsboro police in a corn field near the hospital and was taken back to the hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

9:14 p.m. — Fire that engulfed a vehicle that hit a deer on K-15 near 340th Rd. was extinguished by Tampa and Durham firefighters.


9:43 a.m. — A 49-year-old man who woke up stuttering in the 600 block of S. Washington St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

12:11 p.m. — A 59-year-old woman who tripped and thought she broke her knee near Ashley Dr. and Main St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

10:58 p.m. — An unconscious 68-year-old man whom a sheriff’s deputy found hanging in an outbuilding after a domestic dispute in the 300 block of Lombard St. in Lincolnville was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke and then transferred to a helicopter ambulance bound for an undisclosed location. At their suggestion, Lincolnville first responders also was dispatched. Tampa ambulance was, too, but that call was canceled just as the ambulance reached Lincolnville.


10:54 a.m. — A carbon monoxide alarm at a farmhouse near 300th and Zebulon Rds. was investigated by Lincolnville firefighters and determined to be a false alarm.

11:57 a.m. — A 39-year-old man who cut his wrist on an item in a dishwasher at the Brandin’ Iron restaurant in Florence declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

1:07 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters stood by for 1½ hours during a controlled burn at Marion County Fairgrounds in Hillsboro.

3:26 p.m. — An 86-year-old man having trouble breathing in the 500 block of N. Poplar St. in Peabody was taken to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, by Hillsboro ambulance. A single emergency medical technician aboard Peabody ambulance attendant cared for the patient until Hillsboro ambulance arrived.

5:48 p.m. — A Peabody firefighter asked that an Evergy crew be assigned because a derailed train car was dangerously close to a gas meter in the 400 block of S. Locust St.

8:46 p.m. — A 62-year-old man with chest pain and a rapid pulse in the 200 block of S. Buller St. in Goessel was taken to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance, which was diverted there by NMC Health. A Goessel first responder also was dispatched. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 10:59 p.m.


9:53 a.m. — A 59-year-old woman who was taken to St. Luke after falling Friday afternoon at a house near Ashley Dr. and Main St. fell a second time at the same location but declined to be taken back to a hospital by Marion ambulance.


6:55 a.m. — A lightheaded 87-year-old woman not feeling well for three days was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance from a home in the 700 block of E. 1st St. in Hillsboro.

Last modified July 20, 2023