• Last modified 408 days ago (March 2, 2023)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

FEB. 21

10:52 a.m. — A 37-year-old man with multiple fractures was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke Hospital, Marion, to Hutchinson Regional Medical Center. The ambulance returned to Marion at 2:23 p.m.

4:28 p.m. — A caller reported a yard fire in the 700 block of N. Walnut St. in Peabody, but Peabody firefighters said the fire safely and legally was enclosed within a non-combustible ring.

FEB. 22

3:42 a.m. — A 75-year-old man short of breath with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center. Dispatchers used code words indicating that the patient had been diagnosed with COVID-19. The ambulance returned to Marion at 5:36 p.m.

5:03 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was sent to Goessel in response to an automated medical alert about a person who fell at a residence in the 100 block of W. Commercial St. Goessel first responders were paged but did not answer. Medics determined at 5:41 p.m. that the patient did not want to be taken to a hospital and returned to Hillsboro, arriving at 6:03 p.m.

5:14 p.m. — Marion ambulance was sent to Peabody in response to a report of an incoherent 73-year-old man having trouble breathing at Indian Guide Terrace Apartments. With just one emergency medical technician aboard, Peabody ambulance also was dispatched as a first-response unit. The patient declined to be taken to a hospital, and Marion ambulance returned to Marion, arriving at 6:18 p.m.

5:25 p.m. — With all other ambulances on other calls, Tampa ambulance was sent to Hillsboro in response to a medical alarm activated in the 100 block of N. Wilson St. Hillsboro first responders also were dispatched. They quickly determined that the call was a false alarm and canceled the call for Tampa ambulance.


6:10 a.m. — A 96-year-old woman who fell and cut her forehead at a farmhouse near K-15 and 80th Rd. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to NMC Health. A first responder from Goessel arrived 10 minutes before the ambulance, which returned to Hillsboro at 7:46 a.m.

9:24 a.m. — An uninjured 73-year-old man — apparently the same one who had reported trouble breathing the night before — fell out of bed at Indian Guide Terrace Apartments and was helped up by volunteers and a first responder aboard Peabody ambulance. A call for Hillsboro ambulance, which also had been dispatched, was canceled before the ambulance arrived.

10:41 a.m. — The patient from the previous call reported that he changed his mind, was ill, and wanted to go to a hospital. Peabody ambulance, still with just one technician on board, responded along with Hillsboro ambulance, which took the man to NMC Health. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 12:30 p.m.

11:26 p.m. — A 19-year-old male complaining of a tight chest and breathing difficulties at the Tabor College men’s quad declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance. Medics spent close to an hour at his dormitory room.




6:56 a.m. — A 61-year-old woman who fell at Homestead Senior Residences in Marion was helped up by medics from Marion ambulance. She declined to be taken to a hospital.

8 a.m. — A semi-trailer truck on fire on K-150 near Clover Rd. was extinguished within 30 minutes by Marion firefighters. Marion ambulance also was dispatched, but no one was injured. State highway crews were sent to deal with firefighting water freezing on the highway.

12:40 p.m. — A 48-year-old man experiencing pain throughout his body and unable to get up off the floor in the 100 block of S. Cedar St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

7:03 p.m. — Peabody firefighters were dispatched to 80th Rd. between Jade and Kanza Rds., where a caller had reported seeing the glow of a fire. However, firefighters determined that the glow was from a previously reported controlled burn at 100th and Indigo Rds.

9:10 a.m. — A small grass fire in a culvert along 120th Rd. between Limestone and Mustang Rds. was extinguished within 35 minutes by Peabody firefighters.

9:30 p.m. — Peabody firefighters were alerted that a caller had reported trees on fire at 100th and Indigo Rds., but dispatchers quickly determined that these were part of the previously reported controlled burn.




12:24 a.m. — A 15-year-old girl experiencing seizures was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The ambulance returned to the county at 3:02 a.m.

3:18 a.m. — A 76-year-old woman who fell in the 500 block of N. Cedar St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

5:15 p.m. — A 51-year-old man with congestive heart failure was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Westview Manor, Peabody, to NMC Health. A lone EMT aboard Peabody ambulance arrived 15 minutes before Hillsboro ambulance and tended to the patient until the ambulance arrived. Hillsboro ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 7:13 p.m.

5:39 p.m. — With Hillsboro ambulance busy in Peabody, Marion ambulance was dispatched to transfer on physician’s orders a confused 84-year-old man from Parkside Homes, Hillsboro, to HCH.

Last modified March 2, 2023