Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
2:22 a.m. — A 75-year-old man having trouble speaking and breathing at a residence near 270th and Remington Rd. was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Marion ambulance. Lincolnville first responders and, briefly, Hillsboro ambulance also were dispatched.
8:40 a.m. — A noise followed by what seemed to be smoke sent Florence, Peabody, and Marion firefighters and Marion ambulance to the 100 block of W. 6th St. in Florence for a false alarm that might have been caused by condensation coming from a vent.
1:03 p.m. — A 66-year-old man complaining of chest pain at Oakwood Manor Apartments in Hillsboro was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Hillsboro Community Hospital.
4:28 p.m. — A 55-year-old man was transferred by Marion ambulance from HCH to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.
4:47 p.m. — An unresponsive, diabetic 63-year-old woman at a residence in the 400 block of Walnut St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
5:53 p.m. — A false alarm sent Hillsboro firefighters to Cedar Hall dormitory at Tabor College.
3:58 p.m. — The previous day’s diabetic patient from Walnut St. in Marion again declined to be taken to a hospital, this time by Marion ambulance.
5:08 p.m. — Another false alarm sent Hillsboro firefighters to Tabor College’s Cedar Hall.
9 a.m. — A 55-year-old man throwing up at a residence in the 700 block of S. Washington St. in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
9:47 a.m. — Burns first responders assisted with an ambulance call in Butler County.
11:34 a.m. — At a physician’s request, an 82-year-old man with an infection at a farmhouse near 150th and Kanza Rds. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
10:35 p.m. — An 89-year-old man thought to have had a cardiac incident half an hour earlier was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from Parkside Homes, Hillsboro.
10:14 a.m. — Marion firefighters tended to a gas meter struck by a vehicle at Main St. and Eisenhower Dr. in Marion until an Atmos Energy crew arrived.
1:54 p.m. — Fire involving a feed truck near 120th and Quail Creek Rd. was extinguished by Peabody firefighters, who remained on the scene for 1½ hours.
4 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Marion ambulance to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 7:29 p.m.
5:35 p.m. — A report of a gas leak inside a house near K-15 and 220th Rd. was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a false alarm.
1:01 a.m. — A 91-year-old man having trouble breathing at Parkside Homes was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
1:38 a.m. — Staff declined to allow a 38-year-old man seeking additional pain medication to be taken to a hospital from Westview Manor in Peabody.
7:43 a.m. — A 72-year-old man with cirrhosis who was not behaving normally was taken to HCH by Tampa ambulance from a farm house near 280th and Kanza Rds. First responders from Durham helped load the patient. Medics from Hillsboro ambulance help unload him.
Technical problems prevented monitoring of dispatches from 11:47 a.m. until 9:06 p.m. At least two ambulance runs appear to have occurred during that time.
9:43 p.m. — Marion firefighters tended to a gas leak behind the sheriff’s office in Marion.
Some dispatches might not have been recorded because of technical problems.
10:45 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters responded to a false alarm caused by a cooking incident at a Tabor College apartment building.
6:32 a.m. — A 61-year-old woman unable to use her right arm after falling the night before was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke from Homestead Senior Residences, Marion.
11:32 a.m. — An 81-year-old woman discovered lying on the floor of her garage, possibly with a broken hip, after having fallen the previous evening was taken from the 700 block of Peabody St. in Peabody to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. A first responder aboard Peabody ambulance assisted.
4:04 p.m. — Peabody firefighters detected a flare-up in a formerly controlled burn north of Nighthawk and 60th Rds. and spent half an hour containing it.
6:04 p.m. — An 80-year-old man with COVID-19 who experienced weakness, fell while attempting to get out of bed, and could not stand was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from the 600 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro.
6:53 p.m. — Marion ambulance responded to what turned out to be an accidentally activated medical alarm at Homestead Senior Residences in Marion.
Last modified Jan. 25, 2023