Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
1:03 p.m. — A 61-year-old man diagnosed with an aortic aneurism and unable to get up because of lower back pain was taken from the 600 block of N. Maple St. in Peabody to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, by Hillsboro ambulance. An emergency medical technician in Peabody ambulance was first on the scene.
2:31 p.m. — With Hillsboro ambulance still at NMC Health, Marion ambulance was assigned to a handle a medical alarm about a woman who fell at a residence in the 700 block of W. Grand Ave. in Hillsboro. Two minutes later, however, Hillsboro police reported that a family member had contacted them by telephone and asked that the ambulance call be canceled.
2:47 p.m. — A 78-year-old man with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who was having trouble breathing at a residence in the 100 block of W. 6th St. in Florence was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital, Marion. A first responder from Florence provided initial care. Hillsboro ambulance initially chose to respond as well from Walton but was replaced as a responding unit by the county ambulance director.
2:53 p.m. — A woman at Indian Guide Terrace Apartments in Peabody with a laceration on her leg declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance. An EMT in Peabody ambulance also responded to the call.
3:15 p.m. — En route to St. Luke, Marion ambulance reported a grass fire at the US-50/77 roundabout in Florence. Florence, Peabody, and Marion firefighters were dispatched. The fire was extinguished in less than seven minutes, and the call for Peabody and Marion firefighters was canceled.
11:19 a.m. — A 90-year-old woman bleeding from the head after a fall at Peabody Senior Center was taken to NMC by Hillsboro ambulance. An EMT in Peabody ambulance was first on the scene.
5:31 p.m. — Hillsboro police asked for a firefighter to check to determine whether gas was leaking at a house in the 600 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro.
5:59 p.m. — A 39-year-old man with gastrointestinal issues was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Hillsboro Community Hospital to McPherson Center for Health. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 7:23 p.m.
10:51 a.m. — An 88-year-old man with a traumatic injury was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 2:05 p.m.
3:26 p.m. — A confused 83-year-old man with a low blood-oxygen level was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from Parkside Homes, Hillsboro.
2:12 p.m. — A 79-year-old man with a history of heart problems who passed out at Casey’s General Store in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The county ambulance director also responded to the call.
10:49 a.m. — A 59-year-old man complaining of dehydration at a residence in the 200 block of S. Cedar St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
11:11 a.m. — An 86-year-old man suspected by a nurse of having a stroke at Salem Home in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
6:09 p.m. — Marion firefighters searched for nearly two hours but could not find the source of a natural gas odor near Nickerson and Cedar Sts. in Marion. An Atmos Energy crew arrived and took over the search.
8:14 p.m. — Marion ambulance attendants assisted St. Luke personnel for two hours with an unspecified medical emergency.
11:36 p.m. — A helicopter ambulance transferred a St. Luke patient to Stormont Vail Health, Topeka.
12:15 a.m. — A 79-year-old man was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to NMC. The ambulance returned to Marion at 2:12 a.m.
5:06 p.m. — A 12-year-old girl who fell off a horse, which then stepped on her, was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, from a farm near 120th and Goldenrod Rds. The ambulance was back in Hillsboro at 7:50 p.m.
11:09 a.m. — A 74-year-old man who had fallen multiple times at a farmhouse near 290th and Sunflower Rds. was taken to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance. First responders from Lincolnville provided care until the ambulance arrived.
1:47 p.m. — A fire alarm at Tabor College townhouses was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to be a false alarm caused by maintenance workers.
3:57 p.m. — Firefighters from Marion and Lincolnville were dispatched for a second time in a week to an oil well pump along US-56/77 near 240th Rd. As was determined previously, the pump was smoking because of lubrication not an oil fire.
Last modified Dec. 21, 2022