• Last modified 665 days ago (July 27, 2022)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


5:22 a.m. — A Hillsboro Community Hospital patient was transferred on an emergency basis by Hillsboro ambulance to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned at 7:42 a.m.

7:55 a.m. — A Hillsboro firefighter reported that a woman fell from her bicycle in the 300 block of S. Ash St. and gashed her head. She declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

8:21 a.m. — An uninjured 77-year-old man who fell in a bathtub in the 600 block of N. Elm St. in Peabody was helped up by medics from Peabody ambulance. Peabody firefighters were paged three times to help lift the patient but did not answer. Rather than page Florence firefighters, as dispatchers suggested, an ambulance supervisor based in Hillsboro volunteered to help. The patient declined to be taken to a hospital.

5:30 p.m. — A medical alerting device activated at a home in the 700 block of W. Grand Ave. proved to be a false alarm for Hillsboro ambulance.


2:33 a.m. — An 89-year-old man who suffered a head wound in a fall at Parkside Homes duplexes in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

4:25 a.m. — An 80-year-old woman with chest pain after falling at a farmhouse near 30th and Sunflower Rds. was taken to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, by Peabody ambulance. An ambulance supervisor from Hillsboro joined the lone attendant available in Peabody so a second ambulance didn’t have to be assigned to the call.

10:15 p.m. — A 30-year-old woman with stomach pain and vomiting was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance from the 100 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro.


7:54 a.m. — Peabody firefighters extinguished a smoking railroad tie that Union Pacific employees had reported at a crossing on Old Mill Rd. south of 110th Rd.

3:16 p.m. — A 58-year-old complaining of stomach pain in the 200 block of S. Cedar St. in Marion was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital, Marion.

8:46 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Marion ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Joseph Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to its quarters at 11:28 p.m.


12:35 p.m. — An initially unconscious 87-year-old woman at a home on Random Rd. at Marion County Lake declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance. The ambulance planned to remain on the scene for some time but ended up leaving when an additional call came in.

12:57 p.m. — A possibly intoxicated 50-year-old woman who fell off her bicycle and suffered a bleeding head wound at Casey’s General Store in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance. Marion police, who also were called, reported that the woman was taken to St. Luke by a private vehicle.

4:29 p.m. — Goessel firefighters determined that a carbon monoxide detector sounding at a farmhouse near 130th and Eagle Rds. was a false alarm caused by a weak battery.

6:49 p.m. — An out-of-control agricultural burn near 220th and Remington Rds. was battled for about an hour by Marion firefighters.

10:18 p.m. — A flare-up sent Marion firefighters back to the burn for more than an hour of mop-up work.


2:02 a.m. — A 74-year-old man with a bowel obstruction was transferred by Marion ambulance on a non-emergency basis from St. Luke to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The ambulance was back in its station at 4:36 a.m.

2:25 a.m. — An 18-year-old woman with symptoms related to a possible kidney stone was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance from the 400 block of S. Washington St. in Hillsboro.

10:37 a.m. — A grass fire near 160th and Eagle Rds. was contained within half an hour by Goessel firefighters, who spent an additional hour doing mop-up.

3:34 p.m. — A flare-up in the same field was battled by Goessel firefighters for close to an hour.

7:29 p.m. — A grass fire at 240th and Quail Creek Rds. was battled for nearly two hours by Marion firefighters.

9:40 p.m. — A 67-year-old man with cardiac problems and difficulty breathing was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from the 200 block of N. Jefferson St. in Hillsboro. First responders from Hillsboro fire department helped as the patient was stabilized.


1:43 a.m. — A trauma patient from HCH was transferred to Wesley by Hillsboro ambulance. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 4:02 a.m.

6:14 p.m. — A 90-year-old man who fell at a residence in the 100 block of Elm St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

7:58 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to an undisclosed hospital by a LifeSafe helicopter.


3:49 a.m. — A 20-year-old man suffering seizures in the 300 block of N. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

8:18 a.m. — An 82-year-old woman with symptoms of a stroke was taken from a farmhouse nearly 30th and Sunflower Rds. to NMC by Hillsboro ambulance. Peabody ambulance arrived first and assessed the patient.

11:32 a.m. — A cryptic call began with Marion ambulance and the interim ambulance director announcing that they both would be out of service soon after Hillsboro ambulance returned from Newton. Minutes later, dispatchers reported that the county sheriff, apparently communicating by means other than radio, said they should “approach the residence,” which was not identified. After a few minutes, the ambulance announced that it would be taking a patient to Ascension Via Christi St. Joseph Hospital in Wichita. En route, it announced that it was being diverted to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital in Wichita. Undersheriff Larry Starkey said the transfer was for a patient needing a mental evaluation. The sheriff cleared the residence before EMS loaded the patient and Starkey rode along in the back of the ambulance.

2:22 p.m. — En route back from Wichita, Marion ambulance was asked to transfer a patient from St. Luke to NMC. The ambulance arrived at St. Luke at 3:07 p.m. The ambulance returned to its quarters at 5:06 p.m.

11:42 p.m. — A 41-year-old woman in respiratory failure was ordered transferred from HCH to Stormont Vail Hospital, Topeka, nearly 110 miles away, despite a previous policy that county ambulances would not go farther than 60 miles to Level 1 trauma centers. For reasons not explained in monitored transmissions, the ambulance did not arrive at HCH until 2:03 a.m. and remained there until returning to its quarters, apparently without making the transfer, at 3:15 a.m.

In the meantime, Marion ambulance responded at 1:56 a.m. to a call about an elderly woman having trouble breathing in the 200 block of W. 4th St. in Florence and took her to St. Luke.

Then, at 3:20 a.m., Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Hutchinson Regional Medical Center and, immediately upon its return at 6:32 a.m., transferred another St. Luke patient to NMC, finally returning to its quarters at 7:42 a.m.

Last modified July 27, 2022