• Last modified 839 days ago (April 7, 2022)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


2:56 a.m. — A 64-year-old man who fell at a residence in the 700 block of S. Washington St. in Hillsboro wasn’t breathing when Hillsboro ambulance arrived. Marion ambulance and Hillsboro firefighters were called to assist with resuscitation, but he was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m.

10:49 a.m. — An 85-year-old woman complaining of back pain in the 200 block of N. Freeborn St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance.

4:10 p.m. — A tree branch sparking in power lines between 60th and 70th Rds. and Xavier Rds. was noticed by a Burns firefighter and monitored by Florence firefighters for an hour until Evergy workers remedied the situation.

10:31 p.m. — A shed fire near 330th and Vista Rds. was battled for nearly two hours by Lost Springs, Lincolnville, and Tampa firefighters. Tampa ambulance stood by as a precaution.


No calls monitored.


1:06 a.m. — A 66-year-old woman complaining of stomach pain at a residence near K-15 and 300th Rd. was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Tampa ambulance. A Durham first responder helped.

2:25 a.m. — A coroner was called after a person was found dead at a farmhouse near 170th and Yarrow Rds. A sheriff’s deputy, Marion ambulance, and an ambulance supervisor initially responded. Florence first responders were paged but did not answer.

6:46 p.m. — An 84-year-old man who fell at a residence in the 800 block of Weldon St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

11:11 p.m. — A 75-year-old woman suffering from low blood sugar, respiratory problems, and vomiting at Peabody Health and Rehab was taken by Peabody ambulance to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center. Hillsboro ambulance initially was dispatched, but the call was changed to Peabody ambulance by an ambulance supervisor, who accompanied the patient to NMC.


2:01 p.m. — A 78-year-old woman with respiratory issues was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Ascension Via Christi St. Teresa Hospital, Wichita.


6:44 a.m. — An 80-year-old man who felt dizzy, fell, and hit his head in the 400 block of Floral Dr. in Hillsboro initially declined to be taken to a hospital but eventually was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

8:21 a.m. — A controlled burn that grew out of control and was heading toward buildings just west of 100th and Meridan Rds. in McPherson County was brought back under control in less than an hour by Goessel firefighters.

10:03 a.m. — The 80-year-old patient taken to HCH earlier in the day was transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, for treatment of bleeding in his brain.

3:08 p.m. — An out-of-control grass fire near K-15 and 150th Rd. was extinguished in about an hour by Goessel firefighters.

3:24 p.m. — Another out-of-control grass fire, this one near 90th and Remington Rds., proved too much for Peabody firefighters to handle alone, and firefighters from Florence and Marion were called to help. However, a wind shift made the fire manageable and they were told to stand down. Peabody firefighters remained for nearly two hours.

5:47 p.m. — A 78-year-old man complaining of a broken left arm after what was described as a rollover accident on 190th Rd. just west of Remington Rd. was extricated by Marion firefighters and rescue squad members and taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke.

6:20 p.m. — Moments after leaving the traffic accident west of Marion, Marion firefighters were sent to the north edge of town, where they needed less than half an hour to contain yet another controlled burn that had grown out of control, this one southeast of US-56 and Eisenhower Dr.

7:50 p.m. — A refuse fire at a residence near 5th and Chicago Sts. in Lost Springs was extinguished within half an hour by firefighters from Lost Springs, Ramona, and Lincolnville, who advised residents burning refuse was not allowed. Tampa ambulance initially was told to stand by as a precaution but later was told it was not needed.

8:20 p.m. — The 78-year-old man injured on Remington Rd. earlier in the evening was transferred by Marion ambulance to Wesley.

10:34 p.m. — A controlled burn that spread to an abandoned structure 20 feet from a 500-gallon propane tank near US-50 and Yarrow Rd. resulted in calls to Marion, Florence, and Peabody firefighters, but after a Florence firefighter checked the scene, Marion and Peabody firefighters were told to stand down. Florence firefighters extinguished the structure fire and returned to their station at 12:14 a.m.

10:48 p.m. — A 74-year-old having breathing problems in the 300 block of S. Ash St. in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.


5:30 p.m. — A 65-year-old man having chest pains and trouble breathing at Oakwood Manor Apartment in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

6:11 p.m. — A man yelling for help after he fell and couldn’t get up in the 300 block of N. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro was helped by a Hillsboro police officer and ambulance attendants. He declined to be taken to a hospital.


5:13 a.m. — A 74-year-old woman who exhibited stroke-like symptoms after falling out of bed in the 200 block of S. Freeborn St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The ambulance had to ask for the address, which was left out of an initial dispatch.

10:22 a.m. — A series of automated notifications of fire at Container Services in Hillsboro proved to be false alarms. Hillsboro firefighters discovered that the business had been having difficulty with its alarm system.

4:27 p.m. — In less than half an hour, Lost Springs firefighters brought back under control a grass fire at 330th and Sunflower Rds.

6:07 p.m. — A 89-year-old woman, reported to be lethargic and behaving unusually at Bethesda Home in Goessel, was found not to be breathing when a Goessel first responder arrived 10 minutes after the initial call. With Hillsboro ambulance already en route, Goessel firefighters and Marion ambulance also were called to assist with resuscitation. Efforts appeared to be futile, however, and responding units began returning to their stations 30 minutes later.

Last modified April 7, 2022