Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
3 a.m. — A 77-year-old woman who fell at a farmhouse near 220th and Sunrise Rds. was not breathing when Marion ambulance arrived after being dispatched with the lowest of five priority levels. Attendants immediately called for help with resuscitation from Marion firefighters and Hillsboro ambulance. Before they arrived, however, it was determined that the patient had signed a do-not-resuscitate directive. She was pronounced dead.
8:51 a.m. — A man with trouble breathing activated a medical alarm in the 200 block of W. B St. in Hillsboro but declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
1:59 p.m. — A police officer’s check on the welfare of a woman at Hillsboro Public Library resulted in the woman being taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Hillsboro Community Hospital.
2:46 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance traveled to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, to return a patient to Salem Home.
4:50 p.m. — A man bleeding from a catheter while being treated by a home-health nurse was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, from the 100 block of Eisenhower Dr. in Marion.
6:51 p.m. — Because there was no medical verification that a 46-year-old woman — cold to the touch, unconscious for several hours, and not breathing — had died, three ambulances, an ambulance supervisor, and Peabody firefighters all were sent under the highest of five priority levels to the 300 block of Peabody St. in Peabody, where the patient eventually was pronounced dead.
Dispatchers initially sent Peabody and Hillsboro ambulances. The supervisor added Peabody firefighters, switched the call from Hillsboro ambulance to Marion ambulance, and noted that an initial text message from dispatchers had listed an incorrect address. Once evidence of rigor mortis was discovered, most of the units were told to disregard the call.
7:02 p.m. — Marion ambulance was diverted from the Peabody call to St. Luke to transfer a patient to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.
12:01 a.m. — A fire alarm at Peabody Health and Rehab was quickly determined by Peabody firefighters and police to be a false alarm.
9:40 a.m. — Florence firefighters reported and dealt with a pickup truck on fire in traffic in the US-50/77 roundabout in Florence.
12:50 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was told that a medical alarm had been pressed by a resident of an unnamed care facility. Ambulance attendants responded that the facility no longer used such items. Recordings do not indicate whether the ambulance went to the facility.
12:35 a.m. — A dizzy 49-year-old man experiencing numbness on his right side was taken by Peabody ambulance to St. Luke from the 600 block of N. Olive St. in Peabody.
8:09 a.m. — Peabody ambulance, this time joined by Marion ambulance, was sent back to the same Peabody address after the patient, apparently released from St. Luke, additionally complained of vomiting, difficulty breathing, and not being alert. Marion ambulance took him to Newton Medical Center.
3:57 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to St. Francis.
5:51 p.m. — Burns firefighters checked an odor of anhydrous ammonia and determined in probably was from a farmer’s application, not from leaking tanks.
8:13 p.m. — A 72-year-old woman at Salem Home was taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance.
10:59 a.m. — A ditch fire at 290th and Quail Creek Rds. was extinguished within half an hour by Tampa and Lincolnville firefighters. Lincolnville firefighters were called after Tampa firefighters did not immediately respond to a page.
5:17 p.m. — A 93-year-old woman whom a physician suspected might have suffered a stroke at Salem Home was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH.
10:59 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred an HCH patient back to Salem Home.
1:14 p.m. — A 56-year-old man who was having trouble breathing in the 200 block of W. B St. in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance after dispatchers were alerted by a medical alarm service.
2:04 p.m. — Employing code indicating COVID-19 was suspected, dispatchers sent Tampa ambulance and Durham first responders to a 75-year-old woman too weak to get up in the 700 block of Lawrence St. in Durham. She was taken by Tampa ambulance to Newton Med after being diverted there by HCH.
6:38 p.m. — A man whom a caller said was having difficulty breathing at Uptown Condominiums in Hillsboro told dispatchers he did not want an ambulance. Marion and Hillsboro ambulances, both of which had been summoned, were told to disregard the call.
7:33 p.m. — Marion ambulance responded to a medical alarm accidentally activated at a farmhouse near 230th and Pawnee Rds.
2:59 a.m. — A motorist pinned for 45 minutes in one of two vehicles involved in an accident on US-56/77 just south of the Dickinson-Marion County line was taken by Marion ambulance to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita.
Tampa ambulance, Marion rescue squad, and Lincolnville first responders helped at the scene. Additional ambulances form Hillsboro and Dickinson County and a LifeSafe helicopter ambulance were dispatched but told to disregard the call.
12:15 p.m. — An 89-year-old man — confused, hallucinating, and favoring one side while walking — was taken from Salem Home to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
2:31 p.m. — A 39-year-old man feeling light-headed and suffering a seizure at Salem Home was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
6:52 p.m. — Garbled transmissions sent Hillsboro ambulance — and, briefly, Marion ambulance — to take a patient to HCH from an unmonitored location.
9:08 a.m. — Hillsboro and Tampa ambulances and Durham first responders returned to the same address as Saturday in the 700 block of Lawrence St. in Durham where once a 75-year-old woman, identified by code words as a suspected COVID-19 patient, was experiencing weakness and trouble breathing. She was taken by Tampa ambulance to HCH.
10:18 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Marion ambulance to Susan B. Allen Hospital, El Dorado.
7:10 p.m. — Goessel firefighters responded to a report of a house fire at a location presumably in McPherson County. Initial reports indicated a person was trapped in a second-floor room, but no firefighters seemed to find evidence of a serious fire upon their arrival.
Last modified Dec. 9, 2021