• Last modified 1811 days ago (July 10, 2019)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


11:37 a.m. — A smoky house fire in the 600 block of Newton St. in Lincolnville was extinguished by Lincolnville firefighters with assistance from Lost Springs, Marion, and Tampa firefighters. Tampa ambulance also stood by during the fire. Firefighters were on the scene 1½ hours.

3:17 p.m. — A monitoring company’s medical alert on behalf of a 58-year-old woman in the 100 block of County Rd. in Tampa was found by Tampa ambulance to be a false alarm.

10:28 p.m. — A monitoring company’s alert about a fire at Westview Manor in Peabody was determined by Peabody firefighters to be a false alarm. Firefighters from Florence and Burns also responded.

11:14 p.m. — A 100-year-old man who fell and hurt his head at Parkside Assisted Living in Hillsboro declined to the taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.


7:26 a.m. — A 70-year-old diabetic with atrial fibrillation at a residence near 90th and Xavier Rds. was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital, Marion. Peabody ambulance and the county emergency medical services director also responded to the call.

5:03 p.m. — A man who fell in a driveway near 210th and Sunrise Rds. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The EMS director also responded to the call.

5:51 p.m. — A woman who fell and hurt her hip in a garage in the 200 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody was taken to Newton Medical Center by Peabody ambulance.

10:50 p.m. — A man who cut his hand and leg when he fell through a porch in the 200 block of N. Locust St. in Peabody was taken to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Peabody ambulance. Wesley was the ambulance’s third choice for destination. Both Newton Med and Dole Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Wichita diverted the ambulance.


4:43 a.m. — A bleeding 82-year-old woman was transferred from Salem Home to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

5:15 p.m. — A monitoring company’s medical alert on behalf of a woman in the 200 block of S. Cedar St. in Marion was found by Marion ambulance to have been a false alarm.

6:45 p.m. — A 94-year-old woman who had trouble breathing and passed out was found to have a slow pulse, stopped breathing, and died before being transferred from Salem Home to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

Hillsboro firefighters were initially summoned after she stopped breathing but were called off after it was learned she had signed a do-not-resuscitate order.

Marion ambulance also responded to the call.


2:36 p.m. — A fire in a ditch and a field at US-77 and 30th Rd. was quickly extinguished by Burns firefighters.

10:32 p.m. — An 11-year-old boy reported to be out of control at an apartment in the 100 block of N. Washington St. in Hillsboro was pursued by police, detained, and taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH for evaluation.


5:37 a.m. — Goessel firefighters helped sandbag Keith’s Foods during flooding.

9:07 a.m. — A deserted pickup submerged to its windows in floodwaters on 330th Rd. west of K-15 was found to have been left in the field the day before.

Tampa firefighters and ambulance were called but quickly were told there was no emergency.

9:38 a.m. — A motorist trapped in flooding on 330th Rd. east of Tampa managed to free herself without assistance from Ramona and Tampa firefighters and Tampa ambulance, all of which had difficulty reaching the location.

12:05 p.m. — With 6 to 8 inches of water in their station, Durham firefighters moved their equipment to higher ground and began sandbagging and evacuating residents.

1:16 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was asked to check someone at the Hillsboro ambulance station.

2:29 p.m. — Tampa ambulance was dispatched to Durham to check those coming out of floodwater. It remained there for 2½ hours.

2:44 p.m. — A man with low blood sugar at Peabody City Park declined to be taken to a hospital by Peabody ambulance.

3:58 p.m. — An incoherent man with low blood sugar at a residence in the 100 S. Nickerson St. in Burns declined to be taken to a hospital by Florence ambulance but did go to Susan B. Allen Hospital in El Dorado by private vehicle.

Florence EMTs and first responders from Burns requested assistance from sheriff’s deputies during the call after reporting that an abusive person was trying to enter the house. No deputy was immediately available. By the time one was, the person in question had left.

Another deputy had to remind dispatchers to check on the EMTs after there was a prolonged period of no communication with them while they were waiting for a deputy to arrive.

6:21 p.m. — A sick child at Peabody City Park was checked by EMTs but not taken to a hospital. Both Marion and Peabody ambulances were assigned to Peabody for the evening.

11:25 p.m. — An 82-year-old man who fell from his chair at a residence near 210th and Sunrise Rds. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

The ambulance’s arrival at 210th and Sunrise was delayed until midnight by floodwater that blocked its return from Peabody via Sunflower Rd. Attendants requested a copy of a list of road closings dispatchers might have.

11:36 p.m. — A motorist trapped in floodwater on 190th Rd. between Quail Creek and Remington Rds. was rescued by Marion firefighters before Hillsboro ambulance, which also was summoned, could arrive.


1:17 a.m. — A 60-year-old man unconscious, bleeding from the mouth, gasping for air, and then not breathing after he fell downstairs in the 400 block of N. Poplar St. was taken to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, by Marion ambulance.

Peabody ambulance, firefighters, and police also responded to the call. A Peabody EMT accompanied the patient to St. Francis.

9:13 a.m. — A dizzy, confused, and briefly unconscious customer at D&J Liquor, Marion, was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. The county EMS director also responded.

9:22 a.m. — An oil spill of several gallons, floating out of G&R Implements, Durham, was cleaned up by Durham firefighters using absorbent material supplied by Hillsboro firefighters.

12:51 a.m. — An 83-year-old woman who fell in the 800 block of E. Weldon St., in Marion and possibly hurt her hip was taken to HCH by Marion ambulance. The county EMS director also responded to the call.

9:36 p.m. — A 36-year-old recently released inmate who allegedly broke into a garage near 90th and Old Mill Rds. after leaving a halfway house in Newton slammed his head into the ground and reported suffering chest pains after being confronted by deputies and Peabody police officer.

He was arrested and taken with a deputy and attendants from Marion ambulance to Newton Med aboard Peabody ambulance.

Justin L. Kater, 36, Peabody, later was transferred to Marion County Jail, where he was held in lieu of $5,000 bond on suspicion of burglary.


2:37 a.m. — Tampa ambulance staged nearby but was not needed during what initially was reported to be a domestic dispute involving a man with a gun and a woman and three children hiding in a house in the 300 block of N. B St. in Ramona. Upon arriving, deputies reported there were no problems at the residence.

1:23 p.m. — Florence, Lincolnville, and Peabody firefighters went to Durham to provide the first of two days of help with flooding cleanup.

1:55 p.m. — A 75-year-old man stuck in the mud in a pickup truck for 11/2 days was located and returned to his residence, then taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

The first report that David L. Schneider Sr., 75, of 605 Wichita St., Lincolnville, was missing was relayed by dispatchers at 10:38 p.m. Friday.

Schneider’s son, who apparently had been vacationing in Missouri, telephoned to ask that deputies check on him.

Occupied by other calls, including an arrest for a burglary near Peabody and what wrongly was thought to be a hostage situation in Ramona, the sheriff’s office did not send out a missing person’s report until 11:59 a.m. Saturday.

The report said Schneider had not been heard from since Tuesday, his 2015 GMC Acadia was missing, and his residence was found to be unlocked with a TV set still on.

Deputy Travis Wilson began interviewing neighbors along Wichita St. at 12:26 p.m. Saturday. An hour and a half later, Wilson, helped by a resident with a truck, located Schneider in a ditch on 270th Rd. near US-56/77 and returned him to his house.

He reportedly had mosquito bites, sore knees, and was very thirsty.

A Lincolnville first responder and Tampa ambulance also were dispatched after Schneider was located.

5:34 p.m. — Dispatchers attempted to assign both Marion and Hillsboro ambulances to transfer two patients from St. Luke — one to Newton Med, the other to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.

Ambulance attendants informed dispatchers that policy required one of the ambulances to remain in the county for emergency calls, so Marion ambulance took the first patient to Kansas Heart.

At 8:31 p.m., the ambulance returned to St. Luke to transfer the second patient. It returned to its station at 10:41 p.m. after completing the second transfer.

6:05 p.m. — A leaking propane tank in the 500 block of Lawrence Ave. in Durham was secured by Durham firefighters.

6:48 p.m. — A patient who fell at Bethesda Home was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance.


Any transmissions between 6 a.m. and 10:17 a.m. were not recorded because of technical problems.

2:49 p.m. — A ditch fire near 90th and Sunflower Rds. was quickly extinguished by Peabody firefighters.

5:35 p.m. — A 63-year-old man with chest pains was taken by Tampa ambulance from the 400 block of B St. in Ramona to a rendezvous with Herington ambulance with more advanced EMTs to supervise the remainder of the trip to Herington Municipal Hospital.

Because Dickinson County is not part of a statewide interoperability radio network that necessitated upgrades of all Marion County emergency radios to a trunked 800 mHz system, the two ambulances could not communicate directly with each other.

The ambulance returned to Tampa at 8:14 p.m.


11:29 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Wesley Woodlawn Hospital, Wichita, by Marion ambulance.

7 p.m. — A nauseated and dizzy woman in her 60s at a blood drive at Eastmoor United Methodist Church was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance.

Last modified July 10, 2019