• Last modified 2035 days ago (Dec. 29, 2018)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

DEC. 20

10:55 a.m. — A large, unresponsive man who collapsed in a calving barn near 300th and Alfalfa Rds. was transported by helicopter from the scene. Two EMTs and a firefighter from Lincolnville were first to arrive 15 minutes after the initial call. Tampa and Marion ambulances also responded. The helicopter arrived about an hour after the call.

4:05 p.m. — A person experiencing shoulder pain after a traffic accident at A and Main Sts. in Hillsboro was examined by Hillsboro ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital.

8:55 p.m. — A St. Luke Hospital patient was transferred to Newton Medical Center by Marion ambulance.

9:40 p.m. — A delusional and combative patient at Westview Manor in Peabody was evaluated by Peabody police and ambulance attendants before being transferred by care home staff to a facility in Newton.

DEC. 21

4:28 a.m. — A Jeep reportedly stolen from the 800 block of E. Main St. in Marion overturned, ejecting the driver, while the vehicle was being sought by police and a sheriff’s deputy near 190th and Mustang Rds.

The driver, who apparently was seriously injured, was taken to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance. The driver of a car that rear-ended the Jeep was checked at the scene by Marion ambulance attendants but not taken to a hospital.

Hillsboro firefighters helped search for a possible additional victim in response to what turned out to be a false report that someone else might have left the scene on foot.

2:52 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to St. Francis by Marion ambulance.

3:04 p.m. — After dispatchers paged Hillsboro ambulance four times and received no answer regarding a woman, apparently uninjured, who fell at Hilltop Manor in Marion, the county’s interim emergency medical services director went himself, without an ambulance.

A Marion firefighter made a similar offer, but, after three minutes, Hillsboro ambulance finally responded.

The EMS director arrived at 3:11 p.m. and radioed Hillsboro ambulance to continue on. The ambulance arrived at 3:33 p.m., the same time as Marion ambulance was leaving St. Luke for Wichita, and took the woman to St. Luke.

3:15 p.m. — Without being paged, Florence’s fire chief showed up before sheriff’s deputies did to help at a non-injury accident near the US-50/77 roundabout in Florence.

4:28 p.m. — With Marion ambulance still en route to Wichita, a St. Luke patient was transferred to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance.

4:42 p.m. — Tampa ambulance was relocated to Hillsboro as a precaution while another patient was transferred from St. Luke to St. Francis using the backup ambulance normally stationed in Marion. Tampa ambulance remained in Hillsboro until 6:08 p.m., after Marion ambulance returned from Wichita.

5:46 p.m. — Barely back in the county, Hillsboro ambulance was directed to St. Luke to transfer yet another patient to St. Francis.

6:23 p.m. — Just having returned to their quarters, Tampa and Marion ambulances were dispatched along with Marion rescue squad, Lincolnville and Lost Springs firefighters, and a Dickinson County ambulance to a two-car accident at US-77 and 340th Rd. One driver declined to be taken to a hospital, but the other was taken to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance.

DEC. 22

7:48 a.m. — An 85-year-old man having chest pains at a farm home on 140th Rd. between Kanza and Limestone Rds. was taken to Newton Med by Marion ambulance. Hillsboro ambulance arrived first, but with only one attendant on duty was unable to transport the patient.

10:10 p.m. — Peabody ambulance stood by at 130th and Mustang Rds. while two sheriff’s deputies and officers from Peabody and Hillsboro broke up a drunken domestic dispute nearby.

DEC. 23

8:49 a.m. — A women experiencing chest pains after a one-vehicle accident on K-15 near 70th Rd. was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance. Goessel firefighters and first responders also answered the call.

DEC. 24

12:09 a.m. — An elderly person who collapsed to the floor of a residence in the 700 block of Cemetery Lane in Burns was taken to Susan B. Allen Hospital in El Dorado by Florence ambulance. First responders from Burns assisted.

4:58 a.m. — A Salem Home resident who repeatedly passed out was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

5:24 a.m. — A Bethesda Home patient with shortness of breath and a rapid heartbeat was taken from Goessel to Newton Med by Marion ambulance. Goessel first responders were paged but did not reply.

9:02 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance reported to HCH to transfer a patient to Wichita, but the transfer was delayed.

11:19 a.m. — A 60-year-old woman who fell in the 300 block of S. Ash St. in Hillsboro was checked by Hillsboro ambulance attendants. She declined to be taken to a hospital.

DEC. 25

5:07 a.m. — Details of a call to the 500 block of Lincoln St. in Tampa, in which Tampa ambulance transported a patient to Newton Med, were not available because of technical difficulties.

7:01 a.m. — Details of a call in which Marion ambulance transported a patient to St. Luke also were not available.

10:00 a.m. — A 37-year-old Westview Manor patient who lost consciousness was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. Peabody ambulance did not answer a page to serve as a first-response unit.

11:07 p.m. — A 55-year-old man, possibly suffering from sepsis, was taken from Peabody Health and Rehab to Newton Med by Marion ambulance. Only one attendant responded to an initial page for Peabody ambulance.

DEC. 26

2:58 a.m. —A 95-year-old Peabody Health and Rehab resident with a high fever was taken to Newton Med by Marion ambulance. Peabody ambulance was paged twice and Marion ambulance four times before Marion ambulance responded.

10:06 a.m. — A woman who had been vomiting for four hours at Grand Oak Apartments in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

10:39 a.m. — Hillsboro firefighters helped clear smoke from a Tabor Town Houses apartment after a cooking accident.

6:24 p.m. — A Peabody Health and Rehab patient who was having trouble breathing was taken to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance.

8:48 p.m. — Another Peabody Health and Rehab patient was transferred to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance.

Last modified Dec. 29, 2018