• Last modified 2315 days ago (Feb. 22, 2018)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

FEB. 13

9:01 a.m. — A 58-year-old man with chest pains and extremely high blood pressure was taken from the 600 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody to Newton Medical Center by Peabody ambulance. Marion ambulance also was summoned.

5:26 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was sent to Hillsboro Community Hospital to transfer a patient to a Wichita hospital, but an air ambulance was called instead.

FEB. 14

2:53 p.m. — A woman with heart problems who fell and was light-headed was taken to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance from a farm near 10th and Mustang Rds.


4:33 a.m. — Hillsboro police received a call asking for medical assistance in the 500 block of S. Lincoln St. A Hillsboro ambulance attendant responded. Shortly after, a second attendant, not in the ambulance, canceled the call.

9:04 a.m. — A 17-year-old who fell and hit his head after suffering a seizure at Hillsboro High School was classified by Hillsboro ambulance attendants as “code yellow,” a possibly life-threatening condition, but was taken to a hospital by private vehicle instead of the ambulance.

7:33 p.m. — A 74-year-old man who fell out of a chair at a residence in the 900 block of S. Ash St. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

10:06 p.m. — A fire in an outbuilding in the 200 block of S. Summit St. in Goessel was quickly extinguished by Goessel firefighters. Firefighters from Peabody and Hillsboro also were dispatched, as was Hillsboro ambulance, but they were quickly told to disregard the call.


9:27 a.m. — A woman who fell at a residence in the 500 block of S. Cedar St. in Marion was helped back up by Marion ambulance attendants. She reported not being injured and was not taken to a hospital.

12:46 p.m. — A woman who may have suffered a stroke was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Newton Med from the 100 block E. B St. in Hillsboro.

1:43 p.m. — A burning trailer and vehicle parts at a farm near 280th and Mustang Rds. were extinguished by Tampa and Durham firefighters.

1:56 p.m. — A man who had bleach splashed in his eyes at a residence near 210th and Diamond Rd. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance, which diverted on its way back from Newton to handle the call.

3:12 p.m. — An 85-year-old man in pain after hernia surgery was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance from a farm near Kanza and 140th Rds.

3:49 p.m. — Reports of smoke near 230th and Kanza Rd. were investigated by Hillsboro firefighters, who found no fire to fight.

8:58 p.m. — At the request of an off-duty ambulance attendant, Tampa ambulance was called to Centre High School, but the call was quickly canceled by another off-duty ambulance attendant.


3:06 p.m. — A rekindled brush fire along US-56 between Quail Creek and Remington Rds. was extinguished in less than an hour by Hillsboro firefighters.

5:28 p.m. — Marion ambulance responded to a report of a 90-year-old woman bleeding from the nose after falling while walking at Hudson and Lincoln Sts. in Marion. Newspaper recordings did not capture the disposition of the call.

5:44 p.m. — A two-vehicle accident at US-56/77 and 260th Rd. resulted in calls to Tampa and Marion ambulances and Lincolnville and Marion firefighters, but most units were told to disregard. Two people who may have suffered minor injuries declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance, which was the first rescue unit to arrive.

11:30 a.m. — A man who fell and hit his head at a residence in the 1000 block of E. Welch St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.


12:06 a.m. — A reportedly intoxicated driver who drove his car into a field near 150th and Indigo Rds. declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance and instead taken to jail by a sheriff’s deputy.

No location was provided on the initial 911 call about the accident. Law enforcement officers searched for more than 10 minutes before dispatchers were able to pin down a location.

Hillsboro firefighers also answered the call, but sheriff’s deputies extricated the driver from the vehicle before ambulance or firefighter rescue crews arrived.

12:33 a.m. — Marion ambulance was sent to what was announced as a one-vehicle accident near the Ampride station on E. Main St. in Marion, but the call was almost immediately canceled.

2:37 p.m. — A smoldering brush pile at a cell phone tower near K-15 and US-56 was extinguished by Hillsboro firefighters.

Just as firefighters were finishing up at 3:30 p.m., they responded to a second call about a field fire at 210th and Chisolm Trail Rds. Lehigh and Durham firefighters also were called to assist with that fire.

2:48 p.m. — A ditch fire at 290th and Old Mill Rd., extending a quarter of a mile on both sides of the road and possibly rekindled from a former controlled burn, was extinguished by Tampa firefighters, who shortly before 4 p.m. headed to help out with the second fire north of 210th and Chisholm Trail Rds.

Firefighters from Hillsboro remained at 210th and Chisholm Trail Rd. until 7:19 p.m. Food was provided while they battled the fire.

8:01 p.m. — A man having trouble breathing in the 200 block of N. Spruce St. in Peabody was apparently taken to a hospital by Peabody ambulance. However, final disposition of the call was garbled in newspaper recordings.


5:29 a.m. — A tree that rekindled after Sunday’s fire along US-56 near Lehigh was cut down and doused by Hillsboro firefighters.

9 a.m. — A report of smoke on 280th Rd. near Durham was investigated by Durham firefighters, who were able to return to their station 20 minutes later.

3:54 p.m. — A driver had to be freed from one of two vehicles involved in a accident that sent both vehicles into a ditch south of US-50 and north of 9th St. in Peabody.

Peabody ambulance, firefighters and rescue squad members and Marion ambulance all were dispatched to the accident, but neither driver appeared to require transportation to a hospital..

4:15 p.m. — A breathing but unresponsive resident of Homestead Senior Residences in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance, filling in for Marion ambulance, which was at the accident in Peabody at the time.

7:25 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Newton Med by Marion ambulance.

9:51 p.m. — A motorist complaining of injuries suffered when an air bag deployed after her car his a deer at 120th and Nighthawk Rds. was examined by Peabody ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital.

Last modified Feb. 22, 2018