• Last modified 725 days ago (April 27, 2017)


Emergency dispatches

According to fire and ambulance transmissions monitored by the newspaper.


11:33 a.m. — A man who told police he was injured by dogs at Division and Walnut Sts. in Peabody was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance, remained at St. Luke for nearly an hour before continuing on to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita.

4:15 p.m. — Peabody EMTs and firefighters, who were called for help lifting, were sent to a farm on 110th Rd. near Mustang Rd. for a report of a 78-year-old man who had fallen and was still on the ground. The patient apparently had moved inside by the time they arrived and declined to be taken to a hospital.

11:01 p.m. — Marion EMTs and firefighters were sent to what a sheriff’s deputy later determined to be a false report of a semitrailer rollover at US-56 and Old Mill Rd.

11:03 p.m. — A reportedly intoxicated man in the 700 block of N. Elm St. in Peabody ordered Peabody EMTs to leave his property after they were called there.


12:20 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred a Hillsboro Community Hospital patient to Prairie View Mental Health Center, Newton.

11:51 a.m. — Tampa ambulance transported to HCH a man who reportedly was suffering back pain near 300th and Pawnee Rds. Lincolnville first responders also were summoned but did not appear to be available.

6:25 p.m. — Burns firefighters spent nearly two hours extinguishing what appeared to be a flare-up of a one-time controlled pasture fire near 30th and Yarrow Rds.

7:46 p.m. — A woman who reportedly could not move after taking a shower at a Marion County Lake home on Upland Rd. was transported to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.


12:41 a.m. — An 84-year-old man unable to get off the floor in the 500 block of S. Freeborn St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. EMTs had to resolve confusion over the address, which initially was reported as “Freebird” without a north or south designation.

9:52 a.m. — A two-car accident at 80th and Mustang Rds., with one victim reportedly trapped, drew emergency responders from three communities. Marion and Peabody ambulances, Peabody firefighters and Marion rescue workers initially were dispatched. When only one EMT from Peabody responded, the county emergency services director, also en route, ordered an additional ambulance dispatched from Hillsboro, but he cancelled the call after he arrived on the scene. In the end, one patient was transported by Marion ambulance to Newton Medical Center.

11:36 a.m. — Hillsboro firefighters were dispatched to a well-contained but unreported controlled burn of a previously fire-damaged structure west of Indigo Rd. on 240th Rd. Firefighters remained on the scene for about an hour.


1:39 a.m. — A man who had reportedly fallen out of bed in the 900 block of E. D St. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

7:18 a.m. — Tampa ambulance and Hillsboro rescue workers were dispatched to a vehicular accident on 290th Rd. between Mustang and Nighthawk Rds. but appear not to have been needed.

9:17 a.m. — A report of an 84-year-old man who couldn’t move after surgery sent Hillsboro ambulance to a farmhouse on K-15 north of 150th Rd., but no transportation was provided.

2:01 p.m. — Marion and Hillsboro ambulances and Hillsboro firefighters transferred patients from HCH’s 701 S. Main St. location to its new location on 101 Industrial Rd.

10:56 p.m. — Peabody ambulance transported a patient to St. Luke. Details were not available.


4:26 a.m. — A man who was having trouble breathing waited outside a home in the 300 block of S. Birch St. in Hillsboro for Marion ambulance to arrive but decline to be transported to a hospital.

12:08 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Dole Veterans Administration Medical Center, Wichita.

1:51 p.m. — A 52-year-old woman injured when an airbag deployed in a car accident on US-50 at Nighthawk Rd. was transported by Peabody ambulance to HCH. Two other patients declined to be transported.

6:54 p.m. — Firefighters from Hillsboro and Peabody, were dispatched along with Peabody ambulance to what was reported as a structure fire on US-50 near Nighthawk Rd. A sheriff’s deputy who arrived before firefighters determined that smoke lingering from a wood stove had prompted the alarm, and the call was cancelled.

7:25 p.m. — Hillsboro police and ambulance and the county EMS director all responded to what turned out to be a person who had fallen asleep and was slumped over in a car at Hillsboro Municipal Pool’s parking lot.


11:10 a.m. — Hillsboro firefighters investigated a utility pole that was popping and smoking during a power failure near Casey’s General Store.

8:53 p.m. — Marion ambulance was dispatched to K-15 and 240th Rd. to check for possible injuries after air bags deployed when a vehicle hit a deer. No transportation was provided.

9:24 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters were called to the 500 block of W. Grand St. to reset an apartment smoke alarm that continued to sound after residents had extinguished a minor kitchen fire.

9:50 p.m. — Marion ambulance responded with police to a welfare check in the 100 block of S. Roosevelt St. Further details were not recorded.

10:26 p.m. — Peabody ambulance was dispatched to a farm near 110th and Eagle Rds. Further details were not recorded.


2:22 a.m. — A man in the 900 block of E. D St. in Hillsboro received help getting off the floor but declined to have Marion ambulance transport him.

12:51 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance and a Goessel first responder were dispatched to help what was reported to be an uninjured man who could not get up after working on equipment in a shed on Alamo Rd. just south of Goessel. After some confusion over the address, the ambulance arrived at 1:20 p.m. and at 1:37 p.m. transported the man to Newton Medical Center.

1:06 p.m. — With Hillsboro ambulance en route to Goessel and Marion and Tampa ambulances both at a training exercise at Centre High School, Peabody ambulance was dispatched to what was reported to be a possibly life-threatening cardiac emergency in the 200 block of S. Floral Dr. in Hillsboro.

A Hillsboro EMT overhearing the call volunteered to act as a first responder. Arriving within three minutes, the EMT reported that the patient would be transported to HCH by private vehicle. The EMT also went to the hospital, remaining there until 2:08 p.m. The call to Peabody ambulance was cancelled.

2:42 p.m. — Marion ambulance was called to check for possible neck injuries in what otherwise was reported as a non-injury traffic accident at US-56 and Remington Rd. A minute later, one Marion fire truck was dispatched to help open a vehicle door damaged in the accident. The ambulance ended up transporting two patients to St. Luke.

Last modified April 27, 2017