• Last modified 900 days ago (March 2, 2017)



Fire and ambulance transmissions monitored by the newspaper:

Feb. 21

6:03 a.m. — A cancer patient who was not feeling well was transported by Marion ambulance from the 100 block of S. Date St. to Hillsboro Community Hospital. Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched as a first-response unit.

8:11 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance performed an advanced-life-support transfer from HCH to Newton Medical Center. At the same time, Marion ambulance, whose EMTs were still in Hillsboro, was dispatched to perform an advanced-life-support transfer from St. Luke Hospital to Newton Med.

6:18 p.m. — Peabody ambulance was called to a possible domestic dispute on Needle Rd. just south of Peabody but did not transport a patient.

Feb. 22

10:04 a.m. — Hillsboro firefighters assisted city crews in burning grass at Hillsboro airport.

10:27 a.m. — Marion ambulance was placed on standby for a report of a possibly suicidal person in a parking lot at Carlson’s Grocery. No transportation was provided.

11:50 a.m. — Marion rescue assisted a farmer whose arm was stuck in a planter near 190th and Pawnee Rds. Marion ambulance also was called but did not provide transportation.

1:02 p.m. — A 320-pound man stuck on the roof of a burning house near 280th and Kanza Rds. was rescued, taken to HCH and soon afterward transferred to an undisclosed regional hospital by air ambulance. Firefighters from Durham, Hillsboro, and Tampa battled the blaze until 4:30 p.m. Ambulances from both Hillsboro and Marion responded and provided transportation.

5:57 p.m. — A pit fire that got out of control near 120th and Holly Rds. was extinguished by Hillsboro firefighters.

5:59 p.m. — Ramona firefighters stood by at a controlled burn of pasture at 1st and D Sts.

6:23 p.m. — A man who had fallen near 8th and Main Sts. in Florence was transported by Florence ambulance to St. Luke.

7:58 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance performed an advanced-life-support transfer from HCH to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.

11:37 p.m. — A reportedly incoherent woman in the 600 block of S. Roosevelt St. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance


1:59 a.m. — Marion ambulance was called back to the same address on Roosevelt St. to help lift a patient, but EMTs reported on arrival that the request had been cancelled

3:35 a.m. — A person who had fallen and was short on breath was transported by Peabody ambulance from the 700 block of Prairie Lawn Rd. to Newton Med.

4:34 a.m. — A Marion police officer asked that Marion ambulance return to the address on Roosevelt St. Upon arrival, EMTs reported that the patient declined to be taken to a hospital.

7:13 a.m. — After some confusion over location, Burns firefighters extinguished a small grass fire near 110th and Boyer Rds. in Butler County.

8:21 p.m. — Responding to an initial report of a man in his 60s with difficulty breathing, Florence ambulance requested additional assistance after 15 minutes on the scene for what now was being reported as a case of cardiac arrest. The patient was transported from the 100 block of W. 4th St. in Florence to St. Luke., then transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The county EMS director went to St. Luke and accompanied the patient to Wichita.

9:53 p.m. — Dispatched for a fourth time to the same address on Roosevelt St., Marion ambulance transported to St. Luke a woman who was reported by her daughter to be lying awkwardly with her face turning red.

10:39 p.m. — A Parkside Homes resident who fell backward in his wheelchair and was complaining of back pain and shortness of breath was taken to HCH by Marion ambulance after seven attempts to page Hillsboro ambulance went unanswered.


6:15 a.m. — A first responder from Peabody reported to Marion ambulance, which was en route, that a one-car accident on 60th Rd. near Mustang Rd. was a fatality. Peabody firefighters dealt with a downed electric line before a sheriff’s deputy, Peabody police, and a coroner arrived.

8:33 p.m. — Peabody firefighters spent 1½ hours cordoning off a gas meter that had been knocked over and was leaking gas in the 200 block of N. Pine St.


9:36 a.m. — Twelve minutes after an initial call, during which the caller reportedly declined instructions on how to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, a sheriff’s deputy was first on the scene at 20th and Mustang Rd., where a woman in bed was reportedly not breathing. Peabody ambulance arrived moments later, and a coroner was called.

2:16 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters spent 1½ hours battling a grass fire ignited by a welding spark at 210th and Falcon Rds., roughly five miles from Hillsboro. With nearby structures and hay endangered, Hillsboro requested aid from Lehigh, just two miles away, but no firefighters responded. Hillsboro then asked for aid from Durham, 10 miles away. Trucks from Durham arrived at 2:44 p.m. The fire was reported extinguished at 3:48 p.m.

4:20 p.m. — A reportedly unconscious Bethesda Home resident was transported by Peabody ambulance to Newton Med. Goessel first responders also were paged.

4:52 p.m. — Marion ambulance, 28 miles away, was dispatched to the 600 block of E. Marion St. in Goessel for a report of a 38-year-old man who took more than a dozen sleeping pills. Goessel first responders were paged as well but did not appear to be immediately available. McPherson County, which apparently received the initial call, offered to send an ambulance from Moundridge, 12 miles away, and eventually dispatched one from Canton, 15 miles away. A first responder arrived at 5 p.m., and both ambulances were on the scene by 5:15 p.m. At 5:36 p.m., Canton ambulance transported the patient to Newton Med, and Marion ambulance returned to Marion.

5:27 p.m. — En route back from Newton, Peabody ambulance was dispatched to the Peabody police department to assist a diabetic patient with extremely low blood sugar. Marion ambulance offered to respond instead. However, a Peabody police officer took the patient to Cenex for a sugary drink, and when Peabody ambulance arrived at 5:50 p.m., the patient declined transportation to a hospital.


8:22 a.m. — A woman who reported that she was too sick to care for herself and that her husband could not care for her either was taken to Newton Med from Prairie Lane at Marion County Lake. Marion ambulance handled the call.

9:01 a.m. — A police officer performing a welfare check in the 1000 block of Grandview Court in Hillsboro asked for an ambulance. When informed that Tampa ambulance was the nearest available, he asked for a first responder from Hillsboro, then for a second ambulance, to be staffed by two first responders. One of the responders then asked for Hillsboro rescue as well. One patient was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance at 9:29 p.m. Tampa ambulance arrived at 9:32 a.m. and transported the second patient to HCH at 9:44 a.m. Hillsboro ambulance returned to its station at 11:52 a.m. but announced it would be out of service until 6 p.m. At 1:36 p.m., Tampa and Peabody ambulances both were sent to HCH to perform separate basic-life-support transfers of the same patients to intensive care at Wesley.

2:06 p.m. — Florence ambulance transferred a 78-year-old Peabody Health and Rehab patient with a low oxygen level to Newton Med.

8:45 p.m. — Dispatchers did not provide specifics details for sending Marion ambulance to the 600 block of S. Roosevelt St. A person was transported to St. Luke.


7:10 p.m. — A 13-year-old boy who was found on the ground by his mother was reported as unable to gain balance and very confused. He was transported by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH.

7:35 a.m. — Marion ambulance was called to the 300 block of Elm St. for unspecified reasons. A person was transported to St. Luke.

6:02 p.m. — A woman who fell and hit her head and was running a temperature was transported by Peabody ambulance from Westview Manor to St. Luke.

7:49 p.m. — A report of an individual wanting to burn a house near 10th and Marion Sts. prompted Florence fire to be called to the scene. Florence fire reported that the individual was tearing down the house and wanted to burn pieces, which he was not allowed to do.

Last modified March 2, 2017