Fire and ambulance dispatches monitored by the newspaper:
8:15 a.m. — A woman in her 80s complaining of stroke-like symptoms was taken by Marion ambulance from a residence on 190th Rd. between Pawnee and Remington Rds. to St. Luke Hospital.
11:14 a.m. — An elderly woman with a high temperature at Parkside Homes was transported by Hillsboro ambulance to Hillsboro Community Hospital.
7:42 p.m. — A woman called dispatchers requesting an ambulance for her husband, who was described as dizzy, sweating, and laying on the floor. Upon arriving at the residence on Sunflower Rd. north of 330th Rd., Tampa ambulance personnel reported the man was in need of urgent care and transported him to Abilene Memorial Hospital.
12:18 a.m. — Marion ambulance responded to a residence on Quail Creek Rd. between 190th and 200th Rds. to assisted a man who had fallen out of bed. No transportation was provided.
3:01 a.m. — A woman who felt sick and was too weak to stand was transported by Marion ambulance from the 200 block of S. Thorp St. to St. Luke Hospital.
11:29 a.m. — Tampa ambulance and a Durham first responder were dispatched to a residence on 300th Rd. near Pawnee Rd. for a man who was having difficulty breathing, vomiting, and slipping in and out of consciousness. At 11:47 a.m. a Lincolnville first responder reported receiving a phone page, and was asked to stand by as the ambulance was arriving at the scene. Describing the situation as a “load and go,” Tampa ambulance requested that EMS director Ed Debesis head that direction. Debesis met the ambulance at 290th and Remington Rds., and the ambulance arrived at St. Luke at 12:22 p.m.
2:25 p.m. — Two minutes after being dispatched to the 400 block of N. Locust St. for a commercial fire alarm, Peabody fire was told to disregard after the alarm company determined dust from remodeling triggered the alarm.
6:43 p.m. — A woman who was reportedly passed out on a bed in the 600 block of S. Roosevelt St. was transported by Marion ambulance to St. Luke.
5:22 a.m. — When Hillsboro ambulance was not available, Marion ambulance transported an individual with breathing difficulties from the 300 block of N. Ash St. to HCH.
9:46 a.m. — Two dispatch transmissions broadcast on the sheriff channel requested Marion firefighters to respond to 240th and Remington Rds. for a fire near a gas plant. At 9:48 a.m., a transmission on the Marion fire channel asked dispatchers if a page had been sent, as no tones indicating a page out had been heard. A dispatch was immediately rebroadcast on the fire channel. At 9:53 a.m., it was reported that the fire was a burning hay bale in a plowed field east of the plant. Firefighters determined the smoldering bales presented no danger and returned to the station.
2:38 p.m. — Marion ambulance transported a patient from St. Luke to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.
2:53 p.m. — Marion ambulance was paged for an advanced-life-support transfer. When an attendant responded indicating Marion was staffed for basic life support, Tampa ambulance was paged and performed the transport from HCH to Via Christi St. Francis, Wichita.
11:16 p.m. — Marion ambulance provided basic-life-support transport of a patient from St. Luke to Via Christi St. Francis.
7:06 a.m. — Marion firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide alarm in the 800 block of E. Main St. At 7:16 a.m., firefighters reported the department’s carbon monoxide detector was not working and requested Atmos Energy be contacted. When contact with Atmos was confirmed, firefighters advised the homeowners and returned to the station.
10:01 a.m. — Peabody ambulance transported a man with breathing difficulties from Peabody Health and Rehab to Newton Medical Center.
11:38 p.m. — A woman reporting severe abdominal pains and vomiting blood at Hilltop Manor was transported by Marion ambulance to St. Luke.
4:00 p.m. — Peabody ambulance was paged for a call in Florence, but two minutes later was told to disregard, as the individual was going to the hospital by private vehicle.
4:41 p.m. — Marion ambulance responded to the 600 block of S. Roosevelt St. for a woman complaining of facial numbness and the possibility she might be having a stroke. Upon arrival, the woman refused transportation, and the ambulance returned to the station.
6:58 p.m. — A man who was released from Wesley Medical Center earlier in the day was transported by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH after complaining of excessive blood in his stool.
7:48 p.m. — A patient at Peabody Health and Rehab was transported to Newton Medical.
9:14 p.m. — Hillboro ambulance provided advanced-life-support transportation of a patient from HCH to Wesley Medical Center.
9:52 p.m. — When Peabody firefighters responded to the 700 block of N. Olive St. for what had been reported as a “large fire” involving one or two structures, they discovered a large, contained bonfire in a back yard. Once it was determined the owner had a burn permit, firefighters returned to the station.
10:10 a.m. — Eight minutes after Peabody firefighters initiated a response to an alarm at Peabody Health and Rehab, they were dismissed when it was found to be a false alarm.