Compiled from past issues
10 years ago
feb. 2, 2oo5
Fourth grade students participating in the Peabody-Burns Elementary School spelling bee include McKenzie Ensminger and Seth Topham.
Nominees for homecoming queen are Jenna Burnett, Leann Spinden, and Megan Weber.
Barb Kottwitz, 65, former Peabody Elementary School teacher, died at Hutchinson.
25 years ago
feb. 1, 1990
Susi Webster has decided to open a photography studio in her home.
Polly Gaines of the Peabody High School FFA chapter was among about 170 members who participated in the “Kansas Made for Excellence” conference Jan. 27 and 28 at Salina.
J.M. Janzen, curator of the Kaufman Museum at Bethel College, will speak on “Indians of the Area” at the Fredric Remington Society meeting Feb. 5.
50 years ago
Jan. 28, 1965
Karen Herrs, RN, reports that Adeline Spangler and Carolyn Truax have graduated from the nurses’ aide class under her supervision.
Committal services for Mrs. Charles Lathrop, who died at her home in Los Angeles, California, on Jan. 6 following a long illness, were held. She was born in 1885, the daughter of the late Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Hoffman and granddaughter of Dr. and Mrs. George Campbell, former Peabody residents.
Sally Ferguson was surprised with a birthday supper on her 17th birthday.
100 years ago
Jan. 28, 1915
Another old resident was summoned by the angel of death on Monday afternoon. Dr. J.M. Gunderman, the pioneer veterinarian, had been in poor health for a couple of years. He was an old soldier and an ardent Republican.
The Cockley Bakery and its patrons are enjoying the music of an electric piano player, just installed.
125 years ago
jan. 16, 1890
It was 4 degrees below zero last night.
Having business in Wichita last Saturday, we called at the Medical and Surgical Sanitorium of Dr. J.C. Petit and enjoyed the luxury of a Turkish bath, which we are now more than ever convinced will cure almost any case of la grippe in short order.
From the Burns Monitor: J.C. Lilly & Co. have filled the old skating rink with baled hay, this former auditorium where once rang the shouts of the applauding multitudes.
Last modified Jan. 21, 2015