• Last modified 3090 days ago (Feb. 2, 2011)


from our archives

Compiled from past issues

january 23, 2001

Bill and Shirley Krause returned home Sunday from Nashville, Tenn. While there, Bill spent six days in the Vanderbuilt University Clinic for autonomic dysfunction undergoing tests and evaluations.

Sara Cook, a senior at Tabor College, made the dean’s list with highest honors.

The Prairie Lawn Cemetery Board held its annual meeting Monday. Warren Slocombe was appointed president and Maxine Seibel will continue her term as secretary/treasurer.

january 30, 1986

For the first time in years, there is a public telephone in the downtown area of Peabody. The new outside phone was installed on the south side of Jim’s Jack and Jill Tuesday.

Only a few weeks after he closed the doors on the McMillen Market and Tavern, Glen McMillen, 83, died last Wednesday.

February 4, 1961

Services for Floyd McDonald, 83, who died Wednesday night at Axtell Christian Hospital in Newton, were 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Baker Funeral Home.

Rodney Herbert enlisted in the National Guard and left Sunday for Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., where he will be stationed for his basic training.

Susan Davis arrived home Monday from a month long trip to Mexico.

February 2, 1911

A number of ladies were entertained Tuesday by Mrs. B.L. Taylor at an all day quilting party.

We will pay 5 cents apiece for old pigeons up to Feb. 10. Peabody Produce Co.

Family washing 4 cents a lb. at the Laundry.

February 4, 1886

J.M. Bechtel has been very sick for a few days back.

Hon. F.H. Kollock was in Topeka this week looking after interests of the O.A. and W.R.R. Company of which he is a director.

Coal has been discovered, ten miles this side of Emporia, in a thicker vein than the one now mined at Osage City. In Peabody, several years ago, a hole was drilled to a depth of some 600 feet. The contract was, a stated amount for the first 100 feet, and a certain amount added for each additional 100 feet. After the work had progressed some distance indications of coal (in fact small pieces of coal) were found, but the contractor said it was “nothing of any account,” and the work kept on. When the hold had got far enough to try the patience and purses of the citizens, a vein of salt water was found and the work stopped. After the drill had been sunk in Peabody to a depth of some 300 feet, a new contract was signed by our city committee and the drill owner for another 300 feet and the very next day, one of the hands in the employ of the contractor, while under the influence of liquor, told the citizen who (tells us) that they had just gone through 3½ feet of coal and when this citizen, a few hours later, congratulated the contractor, he seemed surprised and denied that any coal had been reached. The next day the workman left the city, and the contractor was seen in long conversation with a stranger. Immediately after that all the coal dirt and other indications of coal had utterly disappeared from the hole. Coal, at that depth would have annulled the “fat” contract just made.

Last modified Feb. 2, 2011