The 101-year-old Lost Springs monument on the Santa Fe Trail will be relocated in a public ceremony July 3.
More than 500 area families donated to construct the monument, which was dedicated July 4, 1908.
A crane will be on hand at 9 a.m. July 3 to move the granite stone from the south side of 340th Road 2½ miles west of Lost Springs to a new foundation on the north side of 340th.
At 9:30 a.m., Jon and Anita Clausing will lead a sing-along of trail and cowboy songs. Games for children will be available.
As soon as the monument is in place, a time capsule buried in the old foundation will be opened. Contents, including the names of those who contributed, will be displayed.
At 10:30 a.m., Steve Schmidt, president of the Cottonwood Crossing Chapter of the Santa Fe Trail Association, will give a brief history of the trail through the Lost Spring area.
Carol Schoof, who later lived near the site, will relate her experiences, and others will be invited to contribute.
Visitors should bring lawn chairs, water, soft drinks, sunscreen, and insect repellent, organizers say.
A shaded area will be available near the spring for those who want to bring blankets and picnic lunches to eat on the grounds.
The trail association will accept items for the time capsule and donations to help cover cost of erecting three historic interpretive plaques next to the monument and developing the site.
All who contribute will have their names entered into the new time capsule.