A first blue-green algae warning of the season for Marion Reservoir went into effect Thursday.
Kansas Department of Health and Environment issued the warning based on sampling of the lake.
The agency provided these guidelines::
- Lake water is not good for humans, pets, or livestock to drink.
- Contact should be avoided.
- Fish can be eaten if they are rinsed with clean water, only the fillet is consumed, and all other parts are discarded.
- Do not allow pets to eat dried algae.
- If lake water contacts skin, wash with clean water as soon as possible.
- Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation.
Lake status will be updated Thursday. Up-to-date lake conditions are available by calling (785) 296-1664.