• Last modified 2531 days ago (Aug. 16, 2012)


Additional CRP land approved for use

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency has expanded emergency haying and grazing to additional land covered by the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP).

Grass waterways, wetland restoration, rare and declining habitat, and farmable wetlands pilot buffer acreages have been approved for all Kansas counties.

‘“This authorization provides additional relief for many Kansas livestock producers who have suffered through severe drought conditions,” Kansas Farm Service Agency Executive Director Adrian J. Polansky said.

“Many of these additional acres have wetland related characteristics and are likely to contain better quality hay and forage than on other CRP acres,” Polansky said.

CRP participants must contact their local FSA county office to request emergency haying and grazing on an individual contract basis prior to haying and grazing. Numerous restrictions exist to minimize impacts on these specialty acres.

Participants must also accept a 10 percent reduction in the upcoming annual rental payment for acres actually hayed or grazed.

Last modified Aug. 16, 2012